Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerns; Windows Security Center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Katrex

Katrex

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hi everyone.

I think I may ask for help too much, but it doesn't help being overly paranoid. >.>

Anyway. Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit; AVG8.5 Free issue.

After I turned on my laptop today (everything loaded up fine), I did my normal routine of updating all my protection programs/other programs, and this included a Kernal Components Update to AVG8.5 Free - my AV - in the event it matters. One of them required a restart, so I restarted as it asked. When the laptop loaded back up, Windows Security Center reported that my computer was not protected, so I opened it up an it said my AV was not running. I opened up the UI for AVG, and it said all components were up and running normally, there was no errors. I turned off AVG components/turned them back on, but Security Center said my AV was still off. I attempted to turn it on through the Security Center, but after allowing the UAC thing and waiting for five minutes - it still reported my AV was off. Seeing no other visible solutions, I decided to restart again. When the computer came back up, there was no error. Security Center reported AVG was up and running. I restarted again just in-case, and again it loaded up with nothing wrong.

I'm fairly certain the Laptop is clean; in addition to safe browsing and such I got off my Laptop yesterday/disconnected from the internet and ran scans with MABM, SAS, and AVG8.5 Free (I do nightly scans since I'm not using the Laptop then anyway, and naturally I didn't run them all at once) which all came up clean. The computer remained disconnected from the internet/off until I turned it on today to update programs. Aside from the security center hiccup, nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

I browsed AVG8.5's free forums and found some suggestions on how to resolve the issue (including downloading a file and running it, and a command prompt command) but since a restart resolved it, I didn't see that applying. The only thing I could find as an explanation for this was:

Computer's can and do have "one time issues". The rule of thumb is always that when you have an issue with any program or Windows itself, reboot and then see if you can recreate the issue. If not just ignore it and move on. The most common cause is probably just a power spike or sag that you or I can't even notice. In otherwords all that it may have needed was the shutdown/restart.

So basically... is the above quote true/good advice? Does anyone know why Security Center had the little hiccup, and can anyone let me know if it is anything to worry about; especially when AVG8.5 reports it is running fine?

Everyone here is quite knowledgeable and gave me great advice/info in the past, hence why I didn't think it would hurt to ask. :] Thanks for taking the time to read, at least.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

I've had problems with Windows Security Center doing the same thing, its almost always just a harmless incident. As long as AVG says it is up and running, I would believe that more than what Windows Security Center says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users