Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues connecting hardware in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnK2374

JohnK2374

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7. I set it up and everything seemed to be working fine....except:

1. My printer, a Canon Pixma ip4000 that I've been using for years, is not working in Windows 7 (and no drivers are available on the Canon Website). Win7 attempts to update drivers, but then I get an error message that says "Driver was not installed".

2. I have an Acomdata 80 Gb External HD with USB 2.0 connection. Worked on my old PC, but is not recognized by Win7. Acomdata's website says that there are no Win7 drivers because you should go through Win7 and use their drivers? When Win7 searches, I get a message that says the device is unrecognizable and the process was stopped becasue there was a problem identified with the hardware..funny...it worked just fine in XP.

I also have a newer 250 Gb Acomdata HD with USB 2.0 connection that works just fine.

Hypothetical Question...will Microsoft EVER get this right? Why does it seem like I always have buyers remorse that I didn't get a Mac?

Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by JohnK2374, 28 December 2009 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Bulletin: Microsoft is not responsible for providing drivers, the manufacturers of said products are responsible for the development and distribution of drivers.

Microsoft provides them as a courtesy to make life easier for users who don't have a clue what drivers are, where they originate from, etc.

That's why users can go to a component manufacturer's website...and find various drivers for various products sold.

Generally speaking, manufacturers of hardware products are not interested in providing new drivers...for products which are not currently being held in inventory or being manufacturerd.

Louis

#3 JohnK2374

JohnK2374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

Louis:

I appreciate you prompt, albeit sarcastic response. As you will see from my original post, I first attempted to obtain the drivers from the manufacturers' websites and was actually surprised that they pointed me back to Microsoft. My point here is two-fold:

1. I have clue about what a driver is and where to obtain it, so I take offense to your comment about not having a clue in your "bulletin".

2. I switched to Microsoft 7 (after much consideration of moving to a Mac), but decided to stay with Windows out of loyalty to Microsoft. In return for that loyalty, I now have a perfectly good printer and a hard drive full of music that are useless (unless I want to spend hours hooking up the two external drives to my laptop and converting everything from the non-compatible to the compatible. A colassal and unecessary waste of time.

I was hoping someone here could help and insight, but instead I was lambasted....thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Just a note...I see that you edited your post to remove the remarks which prompted my sarcasm.

A responsible person doesn't do things like that...but I hope you find an answer to your situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users