Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs when saving Word documents

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pamelayohn

pamelayohn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

I have a computer that locks up each time I try to do a "save as". It locks up when I click on the drop down list to navigate to the folder to save the file in.
Any hints on what to do?

(moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 18 August 2005 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Well lets check a couple of possibilities.
#1 - Do you have Norton installed?
If so check to see if you can find an Option to disable Office Plug-in.

#2 - Start>Search Files & Folders>(type) Normal.dot
If found rename all of them to OldNormal.dot or delete them.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

When was the last time you defragged?
Is the document very long?
When you 'save as" what are you including in the instruction?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cragdogdig

cragdogdig

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative credentials.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached
4. Point to New, Point to New and then click DWORD Value.
5. For Microsoft Windows 2000-based computers, type the following: You’ll probably want to select the following and copy and then paste into the dword value.{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
For Microsoft Windows XP-based or Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computers, type the following: You’ll probably want to select the following and copy and then paste into the dword value.{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401
6. Right-click the value that you just created, go to modify, and then set the Value data to 1.
7. Exit Registry Editor.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

cragdogdig: Since this topic is almost a year old, I am sure he found the fix by now....
JC

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

cragdogdig: Since this topic is almost a year old, I am sure he found the fix by now....

JC,

Check your sundial, August comes before October,every year. It's nearly 24 months old which makes it OVER a year old. :inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers:

Be (A Quart Low Hourglass) Safe :trumpet:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

EDIT: Typo on number of months

Edited by Animal, 13 October 2006 - 07:37 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

A possible solution is still a solution. Even if it does not immediately help the original poster, having a solution documented may very well help a member sometime in the future.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

August comes before October, every year. It's nearly 24 months old which makes it OVER a year old.

Well, actually nearly 14 months old, as nearly 24 months would be Aug. of 2007. :thumbsup:
----------
Whew! That registry fix looks complicated to me. What does "Point to New" mean in the context of this fix?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Sheesh 2 chances at the number of months and I still got it wrong!! :thumbsup:

Note to self: DO NOT Do Your Own Taxes next season!! :flowers:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

Sorry guys. I must have taken my grumpy pills last night. Anyways, I would hope that if any member posts a registry fix, that they post the source of the fix, a warning about using the registry editor with instructions on backing up the registry.I wouldn't want a member to attempt this without knowing that there is some risk involved.

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

Here is the source of where I believe this fix was copied from....Please confirm this cragdogdig.

You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015

I don't mean to pick up anyone, but when I see 2 topics(that are quite old), with the same registry fix and without a source posted, I get a little concerned. Here's the other one - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/8390/ms-office-save-as-hanging/
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users