Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for a Dell Dimension 5100 graphics card update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cagamer

Cagamer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hi, i have a Dell Dimension 5100 with its factory graphics video card which is the ATi Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series which i think is only like a 32 mb card.

I don't like this card because for one it doesn't have Shader Model 3.0 and it has trouble running most of my games like Left 4 Dead 2.

Now I think i have a PCI-E card slot available so that should narrow the cards down. Now i know its pretty much imposible to find a card that can fit these requirments:
"DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better"
For under 100 bucks

If anyone has some suggestions on a card that I should upgrade to that is maybe under 175$ that would be great.

Edited by Cagamer, 28 December 2009 - 11:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm assuming this is the Dimension 5100 you've got. From what I can tell, your main problem has to do with the power supply as it is quite weak at only 305W. Many OEM's, like Dell or HP, used to use proprietary power connectors, I'm not sure if the Dimension you've got does. That PC also uses a Pentium 4 CPU, which isn't powerful enough for most games. In order to use the newer cards, you will probably have to replace your power supply. The EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB is an okay card that requires a 350W power supply. The CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W is a great power supply you can get.

3939.png

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Get the following mate:

1. Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 ~ 26$ (Most games req. a min. of 1GB system memory)

2. The Corsair 450VX PSU as suggested above ~ $60
(Best investment, supports future upgrades)

3. A Nvidia 9800GT card (based on the 8800 platform!)
EVGA 9800GT ~ $119

That said, the existing Pentium 4 3Ghz processor just about meets the minimum system requirements for games like L4D, so don't expect good frame rates even if the other system requirements have been met with ease.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

There are slightly better cards for a similar price to a GeForce 9800GT. Such as the POWERCOLOR AX4850 1GBD3-PH Radeon HD 4850 1GB.

3939.png

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Agreed, but my suggestion was solely based on his existing system.

The 9800GT would better suit his P4 system to render decent gaming performance, anything more would seem unnecessary.
Moreover, there are cheaper options for the 9800GT but the premium for the EVGA card is definitely worth it.

He can buy a much better card, when he overhauls his system completely. :thumbsup:

P.S: The 9800 GT overclocks better than the HD 4850.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 29 December 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

Overclocking a graphics card seems pointless unless you have a high-end system and GPU already. The 4850 was chosen for cost and performance at stock speeds. EVGA is a very good company and the 9800 is a nice card. You can't go wrong with either the 4850 or the 9800GT, both are solid cards. However, your system is not very powerful to begin with and, at a certain point, the graphics card won't help with performance.

3939.png

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Actually, I did look around a bit and found quite a few people using a P4 (3Ghz +) system with the nvidia 8 and 9 series of cards, getting playable frame rates. Anything more rather higher would seem pointless.

And by the 9800GT being OC'ble, I meant when he does have the right hardware, the card can be stepped up a bit for marginal increase in performance.

Bottom-line is that there are limited options (scope) for his current rig and is due for an upgrade, to attain optimal performance. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users