Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

self inflicted screw up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 josephawood6

josephawood6

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hi
I am using Vista home premium, SP2, 32 bit , Dell 1525.

I stupidly set up a custom view "thing" in event viewer to run as a scheduled task. In frustration I reconfigured the message that pops up when I experience an application error pops up on my screen. Instead of displaying the error code along with the difficulty description, I set up a task to say"please be advised".

I no longer receive the system information that is available in my event viewer in MMC.

What I'm trying to do is correct a overheating touchpad and clean up my system if it isn't too late. I realized but ignored the weight of my mistake until I was in the reliability and performance option in Vista. I have a boatload of informational, application and system notifications. I would say that the please be advised window pops up everytime I log on, anytime I try to run an audio app, at least 6 times an hour. I use my notebook about 8 hours a day for personal use. I just used Defraggler to clean up my HD. It took a while until I wised up and shut off system restore and the VSS copy service.

I then found a bunch of temp files from IE5. I don't know where they came from, I don't use internet explorer 5. I used MIL Shield to remove those files.

Anyway what I hoping to get guidance on is should I disable the Task I created, that is triggered each time there is a legitimate need for notification. I'm wondering how the custom view task edition would best be served, reverting to the proper error messages being displayed. I know How to access the properties, but don't know what to modify.

I may be infected with some type of malware and have posted a topic to that issue under "Am I infected"

I can roll all my issues into one forum if the Moderators see it appropriate.

Please let me know.

Than You!

:thumbsup: :huh:
WOODSY0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users