Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys router problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

I have an old Linksys WRT54G router (can't remember which version, 1.1 maybe) I have been using for years, with 2 computers (1 wired WinXP, 1 wireless dualboot XP and Ubuntu). Has always and is still working great.

Lately I have tried connecting other computers, but don't seem able to.

One example is a friends computer that I bought a new D-link wireless usb adapter. installed it at my home, set it up in the same room as my router, it sees the network (along with others in the area), but after putting in the ssid and the pass phrase, it wont connect. I called D-link support, and after running some troubleshooting, they said it has to be the router, since the adapter is able to see the networks, therefore it is working sort of thing.

Have also tried using a new linksys WMP54g Ver 4.1 adapter on another computer and same sort of deal.

Could it be that the router is just so old, it can't connect to newer adapters?

Could a full reset possibly correct the problem? I'm not at home right now or I would try, unless someone has some trouble shooting I could try.

Thanks for any and all help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Which security are you using? WEP? WPA?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

I was using WEP, that was one thing D-link caught and thought that would fix it.
changed settings in 192.168.1.1 and also adapter to WPA, but no change.

when I changed to WPA, it had a dropdown box with 2 options, (don't remember what), does it matter which one?

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

I think I solved this on my own. I did a hard reset of the router, now my D-link wireless adapter has a full connection!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

lol you'll need to setup the security again. Just match the router and what the Dlink can do.

You'll want to use WPA2-PSK or WPA - PSK. PSK = Pre-Shared Key. When you do the setup in the router for WPA or WPA2 you'll want to use a passcode of letters, numbers and/or symbols atleast 8 characters long but longer would be better. Capitalization does count.

Good luck

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users