Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing os from recovery disk.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zeppelin 707

Zeppelin 707

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

Can i use a Toshiba recovery disk with windows vista on it, to install vista on an un formatted hard drive that isn't made by Toshiba? Or is this impossible to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

hi,,, if you have a product key then yes,,,, if you mean you have put a new drive in the laptop and now want to put the os back on it then yes,,,, you will be asked to format the drive when clean installing,,, your product key will be on the bottom of the laptop on a microsoft sticker,,,
you can install the os on any make of hard drive as long as you have a valid product key,,, if the key is registered to another pc then it will not register,,, 1 product key = 1 installation,,,, if its a reinstall then this should be ok,,,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117366-c...sion-vista.html
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Zeppelin 707

Zeppelin 707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

hi,,, if you have a product key then yes,,,, if you mean you have put a new drive in the laptop and now want to put the os back on it then yes,,,, you will be asked to format the drive when clean installing,,, your product key will be on the bottom of the laptop on a microsoft sticker,,,
you can install the os on any make of hard drive as long as you have a valid product key,,, if the key is registered to another pc then it will not register,,, 1 product key = 1 installation,,,, if its a reinstall then this should be ok,,,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117366-c...sion-vista.html
good luck.

Thanks mate, however the os is already on the current laptop i'm typing on i have a pc here next to me with a formatted hard drive, now if i install the OS on this computer from the toshiba then update to 7 will that work? I'm on a low budget and the full verison of 7 is insane in price. I dont plan on keeping the vista on my new computer just have it there so i can upgrade to 7. If it's not connected to the internet is that possible? And yes i have a valid product key (it's on the bottom of my labtop). Thanks
-Zeppelin 707

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

hi,,,, if the disc is a tosh oem disc then it will load drivers for tosh on the other laptop,,, and you will still need a second product key,,, the one on the bottom of the second lappy should do it,,,, but there will be issues i think as the drivers will not be compat,,,, if you get your hands on a full vista disc (friends/family) then this will load generic drivers and the pc will work fine and driver updates will come down as windows updates,,,, as long as the product key is fine. and dont forget what ever addition of vista is on the pc is the addition of 7 upgrade you need,,, in other words if you have vista home prem you will have to upgrade to win7 home prem :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Zeppelin 707

Zeppelin 707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

hi,,,, if the disc is a tosh oem disc then it will load drivers for tosh on the other laptop,,, and you will still need a second product key,,, the one on the bottom of the second lappy should do it,,,, but there will be issues i think as the drivers will not be compat,,,, if you get your hands on a full vista disc (friends/family) then this will load generic drivers and the pc will work fine and driver updates will come down as windows updates,,,, as long as the product key is fine. and dont forget what ever addition of vista is on the pc is the addition of 7 upgrade you need,,, in other words if you have vista home prem you will have to upgrade to win7 home prem :huh:

The thing is the other computer is one that i just build and there is no product key the only product key i have is the one for this laptop. Could i use the same product key if the un formatted pc is not connected to the internet? Weather i use the recovery disk or a friends full windows vista disk? I just want to have vista on here for 1 minute so i can use my 7 upgrade disk. Am i confusing you? Does windows 7 upgrade even come with a new product key? This is my plan tell me if it will work.

1.Disconnect my laptop from the internet.
2.Borrow my brothers vista Oem disk.
3.Install vista on the pc i just built with the key from my toshiba laptop.
4.Update my pc with the valid Windows 7 upgrade disk.

Edited by Zeppelin 707, 28 December 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

I doubt the Toshiba (Vista) Recovery CD will be useful in installing Vista onto the new PC.
It is only meant to be used with the Toshiba PC that came preinstalled with Vista, that being the only system eligible for the Win7 upgrade(offered by Toshiba).

You can however, use your friend's full Vista Install Disc (genuine packaged copy) to install a fresh copy of Vista onto the new PC and order the Win7 upgrade from Microsoft.

Win 7 Upgrade

Hope this helps. :huh:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 December 2009 - 02:15 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 Zeppelin 707

Zeppelin 707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

I doubt the Toshiba (Vista) Recovery CD will be useful in installing Vista onto the new PC.
It is only meant to be used with the Toshiba PC that came preinstalled with Vista, that being the only system eligible for the Win7 upgrade(offered by Toshiba).

You can however, use your friend's full Vista Install Disc (genuine packaged copy) to install a fresh copy of Vista onto the new PC and order the Win7 upgrade from Microsoft.

Win 7 Upgrade

Hope this helps. :huh:

he thing is the other computer is one that i just build and there is no product key the only product key i have is the one for this laptop. Could i use the same product key if the un formatted pc is not connected to the internet? Weather i use the recovery disk or a friends full windows vista disk? I just want to have vista on here for 1 minute so i can use my 7 upgrade disk. Am i confusing you? Does windows 7 upgrade even come with a new product key? This is my plan tell me if it will work.

1.Disconnect my laptop from the internet.
2.Borrow my brothers vista Oem disk.
3.Install vista on the pc i just built with the key from my toshiba laptop.
4.Update my pc with the valid Windows 7 upgrade disk.

Would doing this work?

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

hi,,,, do not try running a pc with out a product key,,,, you will have 14 days to register the second pc's os then it will start to shut down and could also compromise the Toshiba pc's vista product key,,,, also to upgrade to win7 it will look to see if the vista is a genuine copy and is registered,,,,, i suppose there are ways around it but i and other members of this site will not broach that subject,,, good luck with your issue i have helped you as much as i can.
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/produc...ons/choose.mspx
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

^ Rightly said.
By doing that, you'll be compromising Toshiba's Win Vista product key.

Also, even if you manage to install Vista on your new PC with the Toshiba product key, the upgrade process to Win7 will check the status of the current key before installation, failing which it won't proceed.

As mentioned above, there are workarounds which can't be discussed here.

A generic Windows product key is good for the first installation on a PC, followed by reinstalls.

So I suggest purchasing a copy of Windows 7 for your new build. :huh:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 December 2009 - 04:42 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users