Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSOD and Computer Shut-offs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LilDeamon

LilDeamon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

I have had this problem for a longtime, on boxing day I decided to format and see if a clean install with windows 7 64 bit would fix my problems. It seems not :thumbsup:
So the problem must be hardware related.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM
Memory: 2GB Hyundai HYMP125U64CP8-Y5 (Salvaged from an old computer as old memory broke) Also to note: Ive been trying to fit TWIN2X4096-8500C5C but my computer stays at a blank screen with these in, cannot even access the BIOS.
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Proccessor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition
Power: 500 Watts
Harddrive: 250GB /w 500GB External
CPU Fan: Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
3 Optical Disk Drives

I was thinking maybe I might need to upgrade to a 600-650 Watt power supply? I dont really have any idea what to do now and would rather spend wisely than buy random components.

Thanks, Jamie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

Before spending money on anything...I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive, since hard drives tend to fail moreso than any other system component. Long test, not the short one.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

Ok thanks ill run one of those, and hello again. :D

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

I wasn't clear, but...you must run the specific diagnostic provided by the manufacturer of your hard drive. Most, if not all, of the others will not work on drives not made by the respective manufacturer.

Louis

#5 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Ok I ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and after finishing an advanced test all it said was.

Test Results

Disposition Code 0x00

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

The first thing to check would be the BIOS revision, the processor revision (use CPUID), and the motherboard revision. The processor you had has two releases the CPUID of the one is AD775ZWCJ2BGH this is supported by all revisions of the the motherboard and the BIOS from 0905. The second release has a CPUID of AD7750WCJ2BGH this is supported by revisions from 1.02G and later and BIOS from 0907. The motherboard revision should be stamped on it somewhere. If any of these don't match up then that will cause instability. PC1066 memory in AM\AM2+ boards can be tricky only use the suggested memory manufacturers from the motherboard website. I would suggest staying with PC800 as I have never seen any stability issues with it in AM2+.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

Assuming that you have a Hitachi hard drive...that code indicates that there is no problem with the hard drive.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

<<Memory: 2GB Hyundai HYMP125U64CP8-Y5 (Salvaged from an old computer as old memory broke) Also to note: Ive been trying to fit TWIN2X4096-8500C5C but my computer stays at a blank screen with these in, cannot even access the BIOS.>>

Obvious suspect, you might want to run Memtest86+ on every/each module of RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/ Version 4.0.

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#8 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ok II put one of the new 2GB modules in and suprisingly the computer booted, but comes up with a screen saying loaing windows files. Once that bar fills the computer reboots and does the same. So ive launched up memtest 4.00 the memory is listed with the right tiing (5-5-518) is only at DDR800. It seemed fine until Test 4 started and at the moment there are 500000 errors and counting, though when i returned these to Overclockers earlier they said there test return no errors.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

If I use Memtest86+...I tend to trust the results.

I don't know what you mean by <<though when i returned these to Overclockers earlier they said there test return no errors.>>

You seem to have symptoms that validate the results of the Memtest86+ results, thus far.

You need to test every module...and then you need to test in various combinations.

Louis

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

Please check those Hynix RAM modules on another PC to isolate the problem.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

With the 2nd stick installed the computer boots up into a black screen with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner.

My other computer support only DDR so I cannot test any of these modules.

Last Month I sent the 4gb kit back to Overclockers UK, and they days later sent the kit back saying that it worked fine and they checked it with memtest also with no errors. So my computer must be the problem.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Typically, a black screen with cursor at top left...indicates a MBR problem.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#13 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

It occurs whether or not a CD is inserted, the computer doesnt even post, usually there is a green screen with M3N78-VM displayed allowing me to enter the bios with the DEL key, this screen doesnt come up so the problem differs to that in the link you sent.

I dont understand why this didnt happen with teh other corsair memery module, they are both identical.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

There is no correlation between the Asus screen...and the option to enter the BIOS. M3N78-VM is just the motherboard manufacturer's logo.

I have an Asus board also and you can elect to show the Asus logo or not...no impact at all on what follows.

To enter the BIOS, I just hit the Delete key several times when the system is first turned on, about every 2-3 seconds.

If the system indeed does not POST but goes directly to a black screen...that's an unknown for me.

Louis

#15 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

Nope the computer doesnt post, augh whilst i was browseing the computer randomly shut down , i rebooted and it shut down whilst windows was loading. Now it seems fine, maybe its overheating?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users