Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old guy says hay and ask's a question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bryan762

bryan762

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

Howdy do folks, I'm a new guy on this block and after 10 years of computer 101 and playing with PC am only now getting acquainted with the programs like HiJackThis and it's potential to diagnose a PC's ill's. Just wanted to intro myself as suggested and ask a question about the thing while I'm at it. Intro: Old guy from T-town Ohio (Toledo) A place were the city fathers roll up the sidewalk after 8PM and were every one works at Jeep.
Now that the introduction is out of the way and if I ain't violated any rule by asking I wonder if some one could assist me in understanding somthing about the program known as HiJackThis? ,...and the use of a particular tool in the HiJackThis Misc. Tools section? It's called the Host's File Manager. Call me "el stupido"... But whats this tool for and how does one make use of it? Just a breif would be a real help thank you. I hope every ones holiday was a good one bye the way.

Bman

Edited by bryan762, 28 December 2009 - 10:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hello bryan762 and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer (although I see you joined quite some time ago :flowers: )

If you are having any questions/problems, you can post about them in the appropriate forums.

Just a short answer at your question (we can't go in-depth here, since this forum is meant for introductions).

The Hosts file manager in HJT does exactly as it says, it gives you the posibility to manage your hosts file (to edit entries in it and so on). More information about the hosts file can be found here.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

Remember that HJT is primarily a tool for analysis of certain kinds of problems.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 bryan762

bryan762
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

[quote name='elise025' date='Dec 28 2009, 10:19 AM' post='1555189']
Hello bryan762 and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer (although I see you joined quite some time ago :flowers: )

If you are having any questions/problems, you can post about them in the appropriate forums.

Just a short answer at your question (we can't go in-depth here, since this forum is meant for introductions).

Thanks for the link Mr. mod. Yes, I visited you folks some time ago but I'm back to stay. I here good things about this forum. Anyways, the link you give me, It'll save me some research time know,n were to look. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out how best to use the tool after reading it over. These days a guy can O.D. on information looking for JUST what he needs for his purpose and burn out for he even starts..
Again thank You for the link,
Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users