Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop computer not powering up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robrooklyn

Robrooklyn

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

I was playing ITUNES and my computer powered down and it doesn't boot up. The fans are on and the light for that comes on but the computer doesn't even boot up and I don't hear any beeps. I went in and dusted the inside out of it and checked my circuit breaker and such and yet nothing. The fans are running so I assume that power is not the issue can someone advise on what I can do before going to a professional place. By the way it is a Gateway computer. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

Do you see the screen flash with something on it, then go dark? (it should be something relevant to what brand and model you have) If you see that, that means it is coming on but not booting. If nothing at all happens, then it could be your power supply (the one that goes from the wall to the back of your computer).

It's possible there was a power surge in the electrical wiring of your house and your computer is fried somewhere (hard to guess where). It's also possible that malware is keeping your computer from starting. It could be that the accidental, hard shutdown has corrupted critical system files and now the system will not boot.

It's really hard to nail something down as the issue over an internet forum. I can come up with scenarios all day as to why it's not booting, but I don't really how to get you to test things and diagnose it over this forum. Somebody else may be able to, but I'm not qualified for something like this (I can handle computers that are booted, but ones that are dead are a little more trouble). I could fiddle with it if I had my hands on it and possibly fix it, but trying to explain what to do to somebody else over a forum is near impossible. Wait a few days and another person might come by that has better experience with stuff like this.

If I was stuck in your scenario with a non-booting computer, I would take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and let them sort it out. I'd rather pay the money and have them fix it in the matter of an hour, rather than spend a week pulling my hair out trying to fix it myself.

Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Open the case, remove the RAM.

Power the system.

Do you get any beeps now?

Louis

#4 Robrooklyn

Robrooklyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Louis I have done that and no beeps whatsoever.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

I'd be thinking...power supply. The fact that there is evidence of some power...doesn't mean that sufficienct power is generated to start/run the system.

I would try (temporarily, only takes a few minutes) a different PSU to see what happens.

Louis

#6 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

I would agree that its likely the power supply. If the motherboard is not receiving the proper power its not going to throw the diagnostic beeps. What is the maker and model of this computer by the way?

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

That was my first guess (see above post).

Robrooklyn, try another power supply (one that you know already works! preferably new) and let us know what happens. If you're still getting nothing from it, we'll go from there. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, if you buy a new PSU from a store and that's not the problem, you can always return it for a refund.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 Robrooklyn

Robrooklyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Well followed the very first posters advice since I'm not as well verse on computers other than using them. They indicated (geek squad) that it was the motherboard and since the computer is a gateway they would recommend contacting gateway and getting their motherboard instead. After all the expense I just went ahead and bought a new computer. I appreciate all the help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Well...glad you resolved it and we appreciate the feedback.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

Lol new computer always fixes the problem :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm