Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ati2evxx.exe

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

I noticed 2 instances of this file in my task manager. So I searched for the file and got the following results (I'm running XP Media Center SP 3):

1 instance in C:\i386, with a Modified date that precedes the Created date (don't know if this matters or not).

1 instance in C:\WINDOWS\system32

1 instance in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0001\DriverFiles

1 instance in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0002\DriverFiles

I also have this file:

ATI2EVXX.EXE-07A42849.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

So my questions are:

What is this file, what does it do, why do I have several instances of it, should I be concerned, and what, if anything, should I do about it?

If this has been discussed here already, please direct me to the pertinent thread. Thanks!

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lidarX

lidarX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

ATI2EVXX.EXE is process of ATI graphic card.

Commonly you have 2 ATI2EVXX.EXE in your task manager

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

:flowers:

They are Windows Files, safe, leave them alone.

Be very careful in deleting Windows Files, it could muck up your System, BIG TIME!

:thumbsup:

#4 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

:flowers:

They are Windows Files, safe, leave them alone.

Be very careful in deleting Windows Files, it could muck up your System, BIG TIME!

:thumbsup:

Thanks, folks! I know that deleting Windows files can screw stuff up fast. That's why I consulted you nice folks. :trumpet:

I am very curious, though, about how a file can have a Modified date that precedes its Created date.

Edited by jtphenom, 28 December 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

I think I'd check the CMOS time/battery.

Files reflect the dates which are on that clock.

When the CMOS battery starts to weaken, a common symptom is that the system clock/date data start to become inaccurate.

Louis

#6 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

I think I'd check the CMOS time/battery.

Files reflect the dates which are on that clock.

When the CMOS battery starts to weaken, a common symptom is that the system clock/date data start to become inaccurate.

Louis

Good point. However, both dates are from around 4 years ago. So unless a weak CMOS battery can affect time and date attributes that were already set for a given file, then I doubt that's the cause. How about you?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

I don't think you understand.

The CMOS on this system will default to a date of Feb 2007 if the battery is weak.

Any files that I move, create, etc. once that has happened...will bear dates of 2007, regardless of what the correct date/time might be.

So I can have a file which is created by XYZ Corp yesterday...downloaded today by me...and if my CMOS battery is failing, the modified date for that file will reflect 2007.

Louis

#8 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

I don't think you understand.

The CMOS on this system will default to a date of Feb 2007 if the battery is weak.

Any files that I move, create, etc. once that has happened...will bear dates of 2007, regardless of what the correct date/time might be.

So I can have a file which is created by XYZ Corp yesterday...downloaded today by me...and if my CMOS battery is failing, the modified date for that file will reflect 2007.

Louis

I did misunderstand you at first. Thanks for the clarification. But would these dates change even if my system clock has not changed? I have not had to reset my clock at all since I've had this computer. Does that not mean it is safe to assume that the CMOS battery is fine?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

I can't answer all that...I was merely answering your query of how a file can have a modified date that is earlier than its creation date.

Taken from personal experience :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

When in dought just change the battery. They are cheep. Right click on your time, lower left and update you time in the computer world. It's cheep and doesn't take long. I change my battery about every 2 years. It may or may not help but it can't hurt.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hello,

To answer the question of why a file can have a modification date the precedes the creation date is as follows:

The creation date is the date the file was installed or placed on your system. However, the person who wrote or updated that file may actually have done so before you installed it.

For example: Let's say Javacool updated SpywareBlaster Dec. 24, 2009, but I didn't install SpywareBlaster until Dec. 30, 2009. The creation date would then show a date of Dec. 30, 2009, but the modification date would be Dec. 24, 2009.

Another example. Let's say you are working with someone on a project in MS Powerpoint. Your friend edits the file on January 10, 2009 and sends you an e-mail with the file as an attachment on Jan. 11, 2009. You save the file on Jan. 12, 2009. Your computer will then show a file creation date of Jan. 12, 2009 and a modification date of Jan. 10, 2009 - the date your friend edited the Powerpoint file.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, Orange Blossom! :thumbsup:

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

You're welcome. :flowers:

About this file: ATI2EVXX.EXE-07A42849.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

The Prefetch directory serves a valuable purpose by analyzing files that you use at startup and when you run programs . . . It creates an index to the location of those files on the hard disk, including the order in which they’re loaded. This allows Windows and Windows programs to start very quickly after the first time you use them.

From here: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000024.html

In other words, Prefetch is a directory that Windows creates that allows it to load the programs you use faster. It's rather akin to having a grocery list and a map of the store so you can go immediately to the groceries without hunting all over the store for them.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users