Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing acc. folder, quicktask icons gone and ..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sella35

sella35

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

I have had a couple of issues and now I am just frustrated. My computer has been acting strange, so I ran ccleaner and then I ran online housecall scan. I went to bed while it was scanning, so when I woke up I saw it said, "nothing found"...I restarted my computer and my icons on desktop look strange, almost transparent. Some even look like new icons. But they aren't "hidden" they are just weird looking.

I then noticed that the quickstart task bar icons are just missing. So i went to open accessories to pin some of the programs to my taskbar and the entire folder in start menu is gone. I do not think it is deleted, because i went to start>run>mspaint and it will open it that way, and probably I could do snipping tool and things this way, but don't know the command to do all of them. But I can not seem to find the original accessories folder by doing that.

I then thought I would restore my computer to an earlier setting and it gives me an error, saying it was unable to complete the action.

I have a windows Vista 32 bit, with updated software. Any ideas would be appreciated. I do not want to have to try to run disk recovery if it can be avoided.

One other thing that has happened, is my ventrilo gives me an error saying unable to write to the ini file. So it is not saving my password. This all has happened since I did the ccleaner and the online virus scan. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by sella35, 28 December 2009 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

hi,,,, when cleaning out reg issues with ccleaner it asks you to save a backup before cleaning,,,, if you save one then navigate to it and restore it,,, just right click it and select merge,,,, also a good thing to do once a week is to backup the whole registry, only takes a min or two and can get you out of a world of hurt,,,, like now, you could just restore the reg to last weeks and see if this fixed your probs,,,,,,,,,,, as for your system restore,,,, try turning off all the security on the pc and then do a sys restore (unplug from internet while doing this as you will have no real time security),,,,, also if you use a software defragger this will tend to mess with system restore points,,, much better to let vista auto defragger sort it out :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 sella35

sella35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

Thank you so much. I followed the instructions and now my missing accessories file is back, the missing quicktask icons are back. However the system restore says it was unable to complete due to unspecified error. Since things are back, I wonder if I should keep trying to do a system restore, or if I should just leave well enough alone for now. My biggest concern now is if I needed to do a system restore, if I will be able to.

Any ideas on what I should do or not do? The error in event viewer says, Event ID 8209, User- N/A, Task Category- None, Keywords- Classic, not sure if this means anything but I wonder why I am logged on and the Username says N/A? Could that be causing me problems with restoring?

Thanks for your help again.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

hi,,,, it seems the missing things are back now,,,, the system restore errors are a different matter,,,, try creating a restore point and then restore back to it after a day,,,,, it could be that all previous points were messed up with ccleaner,,,, test a new point now your pc is ok,,, if it will not restore back then there is an issue with system restore,,, i would then consider making a new thread with the main emphasis on the system restore not working,,, also in the new thread post a link to this one so members can review whats gone on up to now,,, give all error codes and as much info as you can,,, look in event viewer for info as to the problem and post anything you also find in there in your thread, i feel this will get more members with the expertise needed to fix this problem with system restore,,,,,,,
also i would run a system file check, using your vista/recovery disc :huh: this will fix or replace corrupt system files,,,,
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_...m_file_checker/
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

I have the same thing here - I am repairing this computer - Acer Aspire; Vista Home Premium. I had a desktop with a background and icons; that's it. No C: drive or anything else in in My Computer. No Control Panel. Will not perform any command, including Task Manager. I can see everything in Safe Mode (Accessories is still empty, altho I can find the list when I browse around long enough). Windows Startup repair did nothing. There were no restore points. There is no restore partition and I do not have the recovery discs (not for this version). I did everything I could think of - enabled Administrator Acct, disabled UAC, took ownership of the C: drive, changed all permissions to Full, attempted to clear read-only and hidden attributes; some would not allow me to change them, even from command prompt, ran sfc /scannow, disabled start-up programs from Safemode and some other stuff I don't even remember. Now, it can't load the user profile - it goes to the Default profile. At first, I could log onto the User but I had no background - opened Control Panel once but not the second time. After reboot, I could only log onto Administrator. After each reboot, more errors occur. I am pretty much convinced that a complete reload is my only option. Any other suggestions? I have Ubuntu but I don't even know what else to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users