Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer, tried techniques listed, still no avail.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psych

Psych

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

I went down your list and tried a few of your techniques required to post a topic regarding a slow computer, still I'm having no luck, recently it started randomly crashing.

I was wondering if there was any further help I could request, perhaps a stronger program might be helpful, but as advised I didn't want to run anything I might cause further damage with.

I've used this forum once before in the past with optimum results so I thought I'd come back.

Also, after this problem is fixed, I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent free antivirus that will actually do it's job. If not I'm considering just buying one. If so, which one would you recommend to buy?

Thank you so much :thumbsup:

~Sarah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

Regarding a decent free antivirus Avast is excellent I find: How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus.

I'm sure someone will be along to advise you regarding your issue soon.

#3 nem7glan

nem7glan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

can you give some more details? how old is the computer, what is the make/model. Is it slow all the time, or when on the internet, any info you can provide. You say it has started crashing, any error messages? Have you looked in event viewer to see if any errors have been logged. When the computer is slow have you had a look in Task Manager to see what if anything is taking up cpu time. Before the problem started had you downloaded anything or added new hardware.

#4 Psych

Psych
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi and thank you both for your quick replies :thumbsup:

I built my computer myself so everything in it has a different company name, but the computer itself is around 3 years old now I believe, so I realize that it's considerably outdated but still I know it shouldn't be running this way.

I have 1.8ghz Processor, 2 gigs of ram and a 256 graphics card.

I haven't actually checked the error reports as I'm not that savvy and wouldn't know where to look, same for the task manager unfortunately I'm always worried that I'll stop something that's important from running, but I know if the process is obvious, such as "Zune launcher" to close it.

The crashing happens without a message, it just freezes every process and the mouse and screen and I'm forced to hard reboot, it's never actually done that before.

This is all I'm able to tell off the top of my head, if you need specific information I can look where you tell me and give it to you, but as for knowing where to look I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure of that myself heh.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users