Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Card/Sound issues on WinXP SP3 Dell Vostro 200

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 megamanrulesall

megamanrulesall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

First off, hello to everyone.

A friend of my dads, his computer had been infected with spyware or viruses or something and he had it taken care of by some other group of people (I do not know who he asked to help resolve the issue), and he said that he is no longer getting sounds from it.

I did some looking around at his request and noticed there was a few other errors and things wrong.

Needless to say, now I am just stuck on aspects of trying to resolve the PCI Card error which is displayed as a Yallow ? on the device drivers page. I did some searching around, went to Dells Support page, and tried both of the audio drivers as well as the COnexant PCI card drivers it mentioned, but nothing seems to be working.

It makes me wonder. If they indeed formatted and had to reinstall the OS, could it be possible they installed things in the wrong order?

He has a Windows XP Home Premium Computer. It is Service Pack 3 as well. It is known as a Dell Vostro 200. He still has the Driver Cds that came with it, and it seems to mention the PCI card could be some form of communications modem. But, I get the feeling that is not the case as he is not getting sound, so I assume it could be something more.

I tried installing the Conexant Drivers, as well as the Creative Labs and Realtek Audio drivers as well for it, but unfortunatly, nothing seems to work.

Could it be possible that I may need to format the computer, install the Windows OS, then the Core Drivers and then the individual drivers for each component and THEN update it to Service pack 2 or 3?

I am curious as to what others here may have to say. It is starting to frustrate me as I wish to do right by this person as he is a family friend, you know?

Any help that can be given, I thank you for in advance. ^^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

What is this "PCI card error" that you refer to?

FWIW: There is no order to install drivers.

If there is a device reflected in Device Manager as requiring drivers...I would simply insert the original drivers CD and allow it to self-install, rather than manually trying to install random drivers.

The Dell drivers for that system can be downloaded from the Dell website, if you choose not to use the Dell CD.

Louis

#3 megamanrulesall

megamanrulesall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

What is this "PCI card error" that you refer to?

FWIW: There is no order to install drivers.

If there is a device reflected in Device Manager as requiring drivers...I would simply insert the original drivers CD and allow it to self-install, rather than manually trying to install random drivers.

The Dell drivers for that system can be downloaded from the Dell website, if you choose not to use the Dell CD.

Louis

UNfortunatly, I tried doing it with the Supplied Drivers CD the guy had, but it wouldn't work. So, needless to say, I am confuzed as to what to do. According to the Drivers CD, it is some type of Conexant 56k Modem, but I am wondering if that is true, why there would be no sound coming from it, you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users