Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uniqsearch8 Browser Hijack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 david.keyes

david.keyes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8

I have a problem where if I access Google search or Yahoo search, through any of my browsers (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome Beta) then it redirects to a search engine (uniqsearch8.com) and then unwanted sites.

I cannot access gmail, google support forums, google calendar, etc.

My computer is slightly slower.

Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 david.keyes

david.keyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

I appreciate that Orange Blossom. Do MACs have Hijack This logs?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hello david.keyes, and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

First of all let me tell you we don't handle too much infected Macs. And for that reason most of our tools are not Mac compatible. That means no HJT, and so on.

I will try to help figure out what is wrong, but just to let you know this may take some more time (for above mentioned reasons).

Do you have an antivirus software installed at the moment?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 david.keyes

david.keyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hello! I do understand my unique situation, because googling my problem and looking for similar issues all lead to PC-esque solutions. To answer your question, I do have Symantec, Norton Antivirus, & iAntiVirus (which I recently downloaded in advent of this issue). I just uninstalled MacScan (which I also recently downloaded).

Truthfully, the problem with google went away. I believe Google reformatted their homepage, which probably disrupted the url redirect. Google, gmail, google maps, etc. all work well now. I will note that typing in http://www.yahoo.com, yahoo.com, or www.yahoo.com redirects to http://m.www.yahoo.com/ automatically. Yahoo search works fine.

Nevertheless, I would like to see if it is a malware that I had or with google itself? The PC in my home also had the same problem with uniqsearch8.com, but there were very little similar websites that we went on, aside from google. (Meaning I was not the owner of the PC). I was also told that gmail did not work in the library's public computer. That person did not test google.com.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,309 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

Because looking for malware on a Mac is quite a task, I would like you to consider re-installing all the browsers you use. Of course I can understand you might not be too happy with that if you have many personal features installed.
Please let me know if you are okay with doing so.

I would like to know if you somehow are using iTunes on PC and/or Mac.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 david.keyes

david.keyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Sad times. It is BACK. I cannot access gmail, google, etc. The new website is searchclick8.com.
I am willing to reinstall everything BUT photoshop. Should I uninstall all my antivirus programs?
Also please include steps to completely uninstall programs on a Mac.

I am using iTunes and on my Mac and the PC in my home. My brother's laptop seems to be having the same problem. He does not have iTunes, but Windows Media player.

What do you mean by "somehow are using"? Is there some reason why I wouldn't be using it?

Edited by david.keyes, 02 January 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:13 AM

Are Mac and PC connected to the same router? If so, it might be a good idea to try and reset the router (it should have a reset button on the back).

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users