Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer fails to POST after installing new heatsink?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D Ray

D Ray

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I'm having a bit of a computer issue (well technically it's my girlfriend's computer but yeah) and was wondering if someone on here could help. My girlfriend's computer's processor fan went out recently, and after searching for a replacement, I found one, ordered it, and installed it. It fit and plugged in (a 3 pin connecter in a 4 pin socket). Then I closed the system unit and hooked everything back up, and powered up. The computer ran for about 30 seconds, and then suddenly shut off. When I tried to power back up, it gave a beep error code: High, Low, High, Low (all 4 long tones), which I haven't been able to find while researching the problem. I unplugged every thing and opened the case, made sure everything was connected correctly and it was. I tinkered around with it off and on all day, even plugging it into the system fan port 2, with the same result. Thinking maybe it was incompatible, the next day I opened my computer's system unit and hooked the fan up to the system fan port 2 on my motherboard. When I powered on my computer, it ran for a good several minutes, so I assume that means that the fan is good, yet incompatible with the motherboard and/or processor. The only thing that I noticed was that the connector on the first fan was a brownish color, as were the ports on my motherboard, whereas the ports on her motherboard and connector of the failed fan were white (have not been able to locate information as to if this is a color code). After some more research, I think I may have found a fan that will work with her computer, but before I buy it and it turns out to be a waste of money too, I wanted an expert opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to my message, I greatly appreciate it.

Update: After my question went unanswered on two other websites, I decided to buy the fan anyway and installed it. It did the exact same thing as the first fan, it ran for a few seconds, gave a beep code of 4 long beeps, high-low-high-low (which I have now discovered is a Thermal beep code, for processor nearing overheating). I do not understand why neither of these fans would work, since the first one ran perfectly when I plugged it into the system fan port 2 on my own motherboard, as I assume the second one would too, as it is from a company I have used in the past and trust. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Link to computer specs: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W6409
Link to first fan: http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=370262733709
Link to second fan: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1588

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

Did you clean off the old thermal compound off of the CPU and use some compound on the new heatsink when installing?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 D Ray

D Ray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

Did you clean off the old thermal compound off of the CPU and use some compound on the new heatsink when installing?

I did scrape off the old paste, but both of the fans already had a layer applied to them.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

The color codes of the wires are pretty much universal. At least for the power and return(ground) wire. The third wire color may vary but is a sensor. Do the colors and wire positions on the new fan(s) match-up to the original?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

I did scrape off the old paste, but both of the fans already had a layer applied to them.

Not really an answer.

If you did apply new paste and the fan/heatsinkis correctly seated, see if you can get into bios and disable fan speed monitoring/halt on fan error and see if it boots OK.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 D Ray

D Ray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

The color codes of the wires are pretty much universal. At least for the power and return(ground) wire. The third wire color may vary but is a sensor. Do the colors and wire positions on the new fan(s) match-up to the original?

Yes, the wire colors were the same, but the plug itself was brown, whereas the connector on her motherboard was white. Although the plug on the new fan was white as well and did the same thing as the brown plug.

Not really an answer.

If you did apply new paste and the fan/heatsinkis correctly seated, see if you can get into bios and disable fan speed monitoring/halt on fan error and see if it boots OK.

I scraped off the old thermal paste from the processor, but both of the heatsinks I bought had a layer of thermal paste preapplied, so no I didn't apply any myself. Also, the computer won't boot long enough for me to access the BIOS, once it starts beeping it shuts off within a few seconds.

#7 D Ray

D Ray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

Also, a thought just occurred to me while I was sitting here, making me feel rather stupid. I keep the box of the first fan near my desk to remind myself I need to work on it, and I just opened it and examined the fan again. Then I noticed something. Both of the fans included an X shaped brace, yet neither time have I tried to install it, since I (painstakingly) removed the other side of the case only to be greeted by a metal plate. Should I try again to install it, but this time unhook everything, remove the motherboard, use the bracket, install the heatsink, replace the motherboard and hook everything back up? I didn't know if that might have anything to do with it, just happened to think about it and thought I would mention it.

#8 D Ray

D Ray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Update: Yesterday I went to her house and took out the motherboard and removed the stock fan's bracket then inserted the new one and installed the fan. Worked like a charm =] I guess the fan wasn't connected tightly. Thanks to everyone who answered.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed.

Are you referring to the heat sink bracket that go`s on the backside of the mobo? It is usually recommended to always use that bracket. Aftermarket heat sink\fans usually weigh more and extend further out then the OEM`s. Some mobo`s can become somewhat flimsy when subjected to the heat from normal to above normal operation. Have heard stories of them warping from a combination of the heat and additional weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users