Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major unknown infection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi. On my son's computer, we have been having a major problem for a bit of time now. We are unsure as to what the problem is, but it keeps getting worse. At this point, we are ready to jettison the laptop, but we would like to fix it if possible so that we can remove files (more on why this isnt currently available in a second)

Some of the computer's problems:

MBAM will not run- Run-time error '372':

Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

System Restore does not work-

Error: "System Restore initialization process failed"

Internet no longer works, including no possible network connections show up in the control panel (I am running off a wireless network)

Sound does not work.

I can no longer drag and drop (this is the most annoying, as i am unable to move programs and files off the computer onto an external h ard drive)

I have lost my taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

There are some other interesting things, like when i start up word i get little error messages which dont seem to effect anything, or when i plug in a flash drive the same thing. If you would like the exact wording of these, I can provide those as well.

Like i said, at this point i know things are beyond messed up. If there's a way to fix some of it, or at least get drag and drop back, that would be amazing. If not, the same can be said for any method to get said documents and files off. Thanks is advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Are you able to copy and paste instead of dragging and dropping?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

as mentioned you will probably need an flash drive or CD to put this on.

MBAM 732 error
1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
2. Restart your computer (very important).
3. Download and run this utility. Mbam clean
4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.
Note: If using Free version, ignore the part about putting in your license key and activating.
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and run a Quick Scan and post that log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

no, i cannot copy and paste

i thought i should also mention this error i get on startup:
"Exception EOleSysError in module skype.exe at 0000895D1. The RPC server is unavailable"

i also got a similar error message when trying to uninstall my wireless adapter (to try and reinstall and see if that would somehow jumpstart the internet)

here's what i did:
uninstalled all traces of MBAM on affected computer
uninstalled MBAM from external hard drive,
ran mbamclean on both affected and external
installed mbam onto external, updated it
tried to run it on affected computer

error 372 again

#5 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

just making sure the thread doesnt die

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hey thanks for kicking it back up.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

Hey thanks for kicking it back up.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

Sorry that i keep lapsing in responses here.

Two questions:

1. Is there anyway to proceed without the system discs? (I ask because i'm currently about a 2 and a half hour drive away from them)

2. Do you know of any way with all the problems described above I could possibly get things off the computer? I'm ready to jettison it, but there's just some important files i want.

#8 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

I ended up running it, and not being prompted to do anything. Also, I'm not sure, but I dont think i have a C:/i386 folder.

What do i do next?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

See if you can run this. You may need a Flash or CD drive.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System

#10 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:54 AM

I've downloaded it and the program will open .....how do I run it?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

You need to burn it to a CD/DVD . Then insert it in your PC and reboot to boot of the disk.

How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users