Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what security is best paid or free?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aliboy66

aliboy66

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi my Norton security runs out soon do I just buy again which by the way is not cheap or do I go for a free version,my OS is windows xp home got superanitspywear and malwarebytes anti malwear and spywearbleaster and what do you recommend? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

I don't recommend buying AV products, as most free version perform just as well.
Some free AV's I recommend are
Avira AntiVir
avast! 4. avast! also has a beta out for avast 5. I'm currently using it and it is very good. It can be downloaded here

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

There is no one best out there.

Using a combination of ONE "active protection" program and multiple "on demand" scanners is the best way to keep your system safe.

The ones you mentioned along with the others xblindx gave are all good.

Ad-Aware and AVG are some more...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:18 AM

I have the paid version of ZoneAlarm Antivirus which comes with the firewall (I do not use the Pro version or their Extreme Security Suite). I have used ZoneAlarm for years and love it. Not only does it give me virus protection and outbound protection, it has an operating system firewall that lets me control what all the programs on my computer do. There are many programs that try to update themselves all the time when I do not want them to, and do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. There are programs that want to add themselves to my startup that I do not want there and they do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. Some of those programs do not even have to be used to try to insert themselves there. There are Windows programs, and other legit programs, that want to "call home" that I cannot stop from doing so, but ZoneAlarm can. I use very safe surfing and downloading practices, in fact I hardly do any, but I know it is still possible that something might slip by my virus protection and I could get some kind of infection and if that happens, my firewall should keep it from "calling home" with any of my information or sending invites for some of its malicious friends to come join it for a party on my computer.

It isn't free, but I feel it is well worth the 30 bucks for the program and the 20 bucks yearly renewal fee, and you can put it on three computers

I would never not have a firewall that provides outbound protection and the XP firewall does not have that and the one in Vista doesn't have good enough outbound protection.

I use ZoneAlarm antivirus and firewall and for on demand scanners for malware/spyware I like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I also use Spybot and SpywareBlaster to immunize my system.

Edited by Stang777, 28 December 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#5 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi so when my Norton runs out i will lose all my protection so how much do i need to put on one of each firewall anti-virus and so on not good at this stuff sorry?,and what about Norton when it runs out do i uninstall it or just keep it will clash with my other security?,just been looking at comodo firewall + Anti virus 2 in 1 is this ok?

Edited by aliboy66, 28 December 2009 - 09:04 AM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:23 AM

Yes, I've heard comodo is good. :flowers:

Yes, you will need to uninstall Norton when your subscription runs out. Even though your subscription ends, the program will still be resident in memory (and will clash with another active protection that you run). You could just disable it from starting, but it's simpler to just uninstall it (you can't use it again anyway unless you renew).

Windows has a built-in firewall (that's what I use), but many people run a third-party firewall. I don't have any experience with them.

But yeah, you need to go ahead and prepare for your Norton to run out. Go ahead and get all your firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc....remove Norton, and install the new one(s). That way you won't forget when zero-hour comes and you're vulnerable. :thumbsup: Go ahead and set yourself up now and you won't have to worry about it anymore. :trumpet:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 28 December 2009 - 09:24 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Comodo firewall is amazing. I only use their firewall, not their AV though so I can't be a judge of how good their AV works.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

In my experience no firewall beats Outpost firewall. I use avast!, Avira on different PCs. For paid antivirus software I like Eset Nod32 and Kaspersky.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

When removing Nroton it is best to use their removal tool rather than the add/remove programs uninstaller. Antivirus programs usually require the programs removal tool to really get rid of it

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Norton Removal Tool Download Here

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps which has a list of antivirus and firewall programs.

If you decide to go with a paid program, BEFORE you purchase anything, go to the manufacturers website and see if it has a "try before you buy" offer. Install the trial. This will allow you to find out if the program plays nice with your system and give you a chance to find out if it's user friendly, what features it has, etc.

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

ESET Smart Security is what I stand by.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 December 2009 - 07:22 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

Another thing to check, see if your ISP offers a free security solution. Some ISP's do offer their customers free Norton, McAfee, or other security suite.

#13 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hi thanks for all the info theirs so much to take in and choose d day has come and gone still not 100% sure which to go for at the end went for the simple ones! I think for firewall went for outpost but not sure yet too many pop ups, for anti virus avast,and found threatfire is this ok?. I haven't put to much or to little security? thanks :thumbsup:

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

So you have Outpost Firewall, avast! antivirus, and Threatfire correct? That should work fine. I would also recommend SpywareBlaster. The download link is in my signature.

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Another thing to check, see if your ISP offers a free security solution. Some ISP's do offer their customers free Norton, McAfee, or other security suite.

I called my ISP, they told me they offer free F-Secure internet security but only if requested. So I requested over phone. A tech person came and gave me a CD of the F-Secure product valid for 1 year :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users