Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcgreenhorn

pcgreenhorn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi Guys
Every time i switch my pc on - C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe- appears on my screen. does anybody know what this is and how i could fix it. I also can't restore, does this have something to do with it? I'm farely new to all of this and would really appreciate a little help. Thank you so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Open Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

The value named "Shell" should be "explorer.exe".

It probably says "Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe" on your machine. Right-click it and choose Modify to change it back to "explorer.exe" (without the quotes).

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

:flowers:

ALWAYS back up the Registry BEFORE making changes!

Playing about with the Registry, Windows Files and RAM should always be done with EXTREME Caution as it can make your Computer inoperativable and accounts for a very high number of Help requests from all over the World and the Net.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 27 December 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#4 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:02 AM

You should not need to backup such a vital component of the Registry, one that delineates the shell, but in a clearly erroneous way.

#5 pcgreenhorn

pcgreenhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks guys
That totally worked :thumbsup:

#6 gregory104

gregory104