Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 downtownpearl

downtownpearl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

i'm writing this post on my console as my laptop won't task at all

my laptop has a virus identifying itself as trojan worm win32NetSky
first the warning comes on that my system is infected
then my home screen comes up
then a screen pops up saying "Internet Security 2010 " and it starts scanning. i've turned the system off at this point each time - one time it had an offer to purchase the Internet Security 2010 (with microsoft coloring and format btw) for $49.95 and i declined.

I get the same events in safe mode
i tried to go into system restore but it will not let me into anything.

i have files backed up but not the system.
Does someone in this forum have a suggestion on how to proceed?
Some guidance ?

Thanks much,
Downtown Pearl

Excuse me for posting again but no one answered the first inquiry of this morning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

:flowers:

I have asked Mods to look at this in case it should be moved elsewhere.

We can guide you through with reformat and reinstall if you want to go that way?

Make and Model of the Machine will save us a lot of possible Confusion.

:thumbsup:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Excuse me for posting again but no one answered the first inquiry of this morning.

The first inquiry is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic281909.html

#4 downtownpearl

downtownpearl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have asked Mods to look at this in case it should be moved elsewhere.

We can guide you through with reformat and reinstall if you want to go that way?

Make and Model of the Machine will save us a lot of possible Confusion.

finally found the dec 24 post re this malware in another part of the forum and i'm trying to go through the "remove APCProtect" malware but the pop ups are so intense and it's difficult to know where i am while simultaneously clicking off the malware popups and doing the exercises in the malware removal process.

i have a Dell Precision M4300 laptop. i have all the disks that came with the machine but knowing reloading all the drivers and software etc could be as time consuming and confusing (for me) as removing the malware seems to be. What do you think?

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

I think that this is one of those Disks? If not, then it is available from HP.

http://www.user-guides.co.uk/cddownload/De...isk-133905.html

The Secret to a good reformat and reinstall of Windows is to make sure you have exactly what is needed before you start, then it is smooth as silk.

Once Windows reformats the Drive there is no Pop Ups.

Should take about 35 mins, then there is more, before you actually go online with that Machine, Mate.

You will need Basic Protection for Virus, Spyware and Malware. I can recommend some Free ones for you to Download and burn to a CD to have ready to install, if you want?

Once Basically Protected you will need to have SP2 and SP3 installed. they can also be downloaded from M$ and burnt onto a CD, to be ready, if you don't already have them.

After that it is off to Windows Update, there download and Install ALL crital Updates, except for Internet Explorer 8, that one is better left alone for now. You need to keep returning there until you get ALL the Updates, it will eventually tell you that there is no more. Then it is a matter of undating your Virus, Spyware, Malware Protectors.

After that it is just a bit of fine tuning to get a smooth working Machine.

Edited by Abacus 7, 27 December 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

i have a Dell Precision M4300 laptop.

Dell Tutorial:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 downtownpearl

downtownpearl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your much needed help. Sounds like better to try and remove the virus as the other sounds very techy and not my bright spot. So am first thing this am still trying the 'Remove ACP Protect" tutorial (for the malware) fresh brain this am might help. running my avg scan first to see if that helps. should i be on another forum for treating the virus?

thank you again,
Downtown Pearl

"A photograph is made, not taken." Ansel Adams

#8 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

spyware are generally known as computer woes, so if your computer is infected by spyware you have to reinstall operating system. some persons fall to the mistake of installing an antivirus software on an already infected system, never try this it is not recommended or safe. To solve your problem you need a OS reinstallation CD.

www.laptopvilla.blogspot.com

#9 downtownpearl

downtownpearl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

are you saying what i have is spyware? is there a difference between malware and spyware? thanks much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users