Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this setup work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

I am currently building a computer from scratch. It is meant for gaming. I need some opinions on this rig. I would also like to know if the components will work with each other. My main concern is with the motherboard fitting and lining up properly in the case. I have a lot of 120MM fans sitting around that i plan on using with the case so im not concerned with overheating. I dont plan on overclocking quite yet anyway. Help me out!!!

MY SPECIFICATIONS:

Motherboard: MSI 790FX GD-70 AM3 Motherboard
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-790FX-GD70-4DDR3...mp;sr=1-1-spell

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 2.60GHZ AM3 Processor with 2MB L2 Cache running at (4000MT/S)
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-620-2600M...7638&sr=1-1

RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB KIT (2X2GB) 1600MHZ DDR3 DIMM Memory
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance

Computer Case: Cooler Master RC-310-BWN1-GP Elite 310 ATX, MATX Mid Tower Case with Window (Black/Blue)
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-310...0288&sr=1-1

I realize the hard drive is missing from this setup. I currently already own a 1TB WD Caviar Black Drive that i plan on using with this motherboard. Please let me know whether the processor will work with the motherboard. When i went on MSI's main website the processor i chose was not on the supported CPU list. Im confused with that since the processor is socket Am3 so it should work properly with the motherboard. I would also like to know if my case is good enough for this motherboard. Be sure to check the links below each component for further details. Thanx for the help!!!!!!!!!! I would appreciate any recommendations!!!!!!

Edited by GrandslammerBD, 27 December 2009 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

apparently the board only supports phenon pcu's as for the tower if you fill all 4 pci e slots you are gonna be cramped for space and prone to overheating you will also need to consider a power supply

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

That motherboard will take AM3 CPU's, including the AM3 version of the Athlon II. On the MSI site, you have to go to the downloads section to find the CPU list and the Athlon II X4 620 is listed as supported. The motherboard is ATX as is the case, so they are designed to fit. You're missing an operating system, like Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, a graphics card, and a power supply. For reference, if this is designed to be a gaming PC, I suggest using a Phenom II X4 CPU since it is designed for high performance. The Athlon series is meant for budget PC's or computers where performance isn't much of an issue. Also, I suggest getting one with a clock speed of 2.8GHz. or greater. I suggest the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz, but it is more expensive. If cost is an issue, the AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz is a great alternative.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users