Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Getting Wireless Internet on a Desktop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hello, N00b here!

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router up and running and I got a wireless internet USB adapter for Christmas. This is the adapter I got from a Chinese company called DealExtreme:

Wireless Network Adapter

It uses a ZyDAS chipset if anyone's heard of them.

It came with a CD that had drivers on it. Unfortunately when I tried to install the drivers on my computer I got this error:

"The NDSS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2.)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver."

However, I recieved this message through updating the drivers, so no matter how many times I update I will get the same message. I also downloaded a generic driver from the internet for a "802.11 g/b WLAN ZyDAS Chipset Network Adapter" and got a similar message. I'm trying to get internet on a "Windows 2000 ME" by the way.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Windows 2000 and Windows ME are 2 different OS. When you hold down the Windows key and type the Pause/break key, what does it have under System?

I'm not finding any real solutions. The only thing I have even seen is try installing the drivers in Safe mode. Sorry.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

Oh sorry, I have ME. I just figured that Millenium Edition was an add-on to Windows 2000. How would one go about turning safe mode on? Thanks.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

How to boot into safe mode

Edited by keyboardNinja, 27 December 2009 - 07:01 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

I tried it in safe mode and I can't even veiw the device info (aka drivers). Is it time to call geek squad?? Anyone have any alternatives on connecting my desktop to my wireless router. Thanks. I'm just pissed that the adapter's drivers didn't function properly.

From what I've grabbed from this predicament, the problem is the computer, or at least the part that is supposed to recognize the drivers. Even after I try using downloaded internet drivers, it still doesn't work. Maybe ME can't support a wireless networking USB adapter?

Edit: By the way, I'll be away from a computer until late Wednesday in case you all are wondering why I don't reply to any questions.

Edited by ZRTMWA, 27 December 2009 - 10:02 PM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Why don't you just use an Ethernet cable?

It's faster and more secure....and you don't have to fight with that wireless card. :thumbsup:

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

Can you link the online drivers you are trying?

This driver is the one on the DealExtreme site reviews say to use. Its the driver only so just unzip it to the desktop and point the driver search to it.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:48 AM

The ME edition is just so dated, a lot of us have forgot many ways of the os. The ram is usually only 125mb. No updates, really need to upgrade when you can.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#9 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

keyboardNinja: I would have to either drill a hole in the wall down a floor or run a cable out my room, down the steps and into the office. I think wireless would be easier and more aesthetic.

CaveDweller2: I tried that driver and got the same bullsh!t message.

How easy would it be to upgrade to Windows XP. Is it as easy as finding a torrent and downloading it to a USB, taking it to the computer withME and opening the file? I have no experience whatsoever with swithing an OS.

#10 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

Sorry to double post but what would you all do if you were in my place right now? These are the options I see myself having:

-Get rid of ME and download XP
-Keep searching for drivers on the internet
-Call Geek squad
-Other???

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

*gasp* Download XP? Whatever do you mean? :thumbsup:

If memory serves, Windows 98 wasn't that much fun to get USB to work. So I can imagine that ME would be a bish too. You could install XP or 2000 on your PC, but you might not have the power to run 2K or XP and enjoy it.

What is the processor speed? How much RAM?

You could go Linux........Ubuntu is cool. openSUSE looks cool too. Linux is the answer on what to do with those older PCs. Just need to find a distro that works for you.

EDIT: Calling Geek Squad would be a waste of time and money.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 01 January 2010 - 02:15 AM.

#12 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

I figured members of this forum would say that about the G-Squad.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, complete with a floppy drive and a cd drive as well as a CRT monitor and 1.5 lbs of dust in the CPU.

It has a Intel Pentium III Processor with a clock rate of somewhere between 450MHz to 1.13 GHz. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the processor speed. In ME, I read it is supposed to be displayed in the boot screen, however it is not on my computer. I searched everywhere but cannot find it.

I do know it has a 256MB RAM. The file system and virtual memory are both 32-bit if that helps.

What OS do you recommend?

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

A linux distro. Most of them have a live CD, you just burn it to a CD then boot from it. You can go in, mess with stuff and it won't bother your Windows install. I would recommend OpenSUSE. But you can try a couple. They have come a long way. Just takes a little getting used to after using Windows.

#14 ZRTMWA

ZRTMWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Alright, hopefully that works, if it doesn't I guess I'll just keep my eye on craigslist for a new computer.

Is there a recommended way of destroying an old computer? There should be a thread about that! I'm thinking drilling a hole in the back of the monitor and dropping an m80 in.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Sounds like a good way to me. :thumbsup:

Be sure to take a video and post on YouTube...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users