Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to post a screenshot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:12 PM

"could you send us a screenshot?" Ever hear that? Wonder how to do it?

For screenshots, just like the send to function, windows operating systems are fully capable of doing them. A good question is, like in my case, can the user do it? Generally, to some degree I guess. Try this, for a screenshot of the desktop itself . From the keyboard, hit Print Scrn. Use the mouse to select | Start | All Programs | Paint | Edit | Paste | File | Save As: and fill in the open fields:
Filename “Desktop”
Save as type “JPEG”
Save in: My Documents | My learn HJT information

That’s how this “lesson” began. It’s a little trickier to get other results. Try: Print Scrn, then | Start | All Programs | Paint | Edit | Paste | View | Tool Box (checked) | View | Status Bar (checked) | choose from toolbox the dotted line rectangle image upper right hand Select | move the cursor, now cross-hairs, to a corner of what will be a smaller part of your desktop image. Click-hold-drag until you like the crop rectangle & release. If you don’t like it, click anywhere, and click | Select | to start over. Your cursor will change to a | Move | when it enters the crop area. Click-hold-drag the rectangle to the upper left corner. Choose | Image |

first ya gotta figure this out

Attributes will appear. Until I learned, the handwritten note indicates the sophistication level I had with this easy program. The default numbers will be those of your screen resolution. Mine, being set at 1024 x 768 needs to be changed to… at this point… you guess. I say that because you do not see your full screen. Just figure if your rectangle is long and narrow & you can see all of it, it’ll be less than 1024 (or 800 if your screen resolution is 800 x 600) and the height is a portion of 768, as this example is a little more than a third of full size. Change the numbers and click OK. You’ll lose the majority of the desktop image (and in doing so, have just what you want to send to bleepingcomputer. We’ll get to how that’s done in a bit) Close the window, choose to save, and the Save to box will appear. Follow the prompts.
close but no cigar!!

Alright, lets do it one more time to get it right. This time pay attention to the Status bar. As you draw the crop rectangle, you can see it’s size in W pixels x H pixels constantly changing as you move the Select. As soon as you decide to release from the click-hold-drag those numbers disappear. Too bad. If you remember them you don’t have to guess. Move | Image | Attributes | the exact numbers into the appropriate fields and you’ll have what you want.

Now go to the Photobucket. It’s Free. Do what you like to set up an account. Then you’ll see this:
free online image hosting (always consider donating, of course)

To simplify matters, after entering My Album choose Browse | Open | Submit | wait a bit, then locate your new image. Check the box under it, then Click the URL field next to it. It’s highlighted. Right-click, choose Copy. Close or minimize the window. Come back here to Tests & Scribbles. Post new topic. Click on the http button. Locate your I-bar over the field. Right-click Paste. When the field changes to "MyWebpage" type in HERE. It's OK... the next step. Click on "preview post" at the bottom of your white window. Do a little scrollin' and you'll be able to see what your post looks like. Be sure and try out clickin' on the word HERE to double check that everything is alright.

Have Fun. Theres plenty more to it than just whats here! :thumbsup:

BTW, this is more like what I wanted

Edited by phawgg, 18 September 2004 - 05:30 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

Hello phawgg, this is a pic of a painting my Aunt Joan painted. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:30 PM

Hah, appliciousness runs in the family, I see. :flowers:

Nice trim lil' [img], too. :thumbsup:

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for the help.

Edited: Maybe it should be pinned :thumbsup:

Edited by JEservices, 18 September 2004 - 06:35 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:15 PM

Could be pinned look in windows tips and tricks theres one similar someone made( I cant remember who though?) But your post is much more detailed I really like your tips phawgg! They are so detailed you put so much effort into it! Thanks! O image shack is good too!
CGM3

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Ok. This is strange. When I try to save type as Jpeg , it lets me do it. Typing it in after Desktop that is. But on the dropdown. The only choices are bmp's . It goes in my system as jpeg. But when uploaded to Photobucket , it is a bmp. I never had this problem before. Why doesn't it give me the jpeg, gif option anymore?
Posted Image

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

I had the same problem (limited to .bmp. I didn't like sending such huge files through the e-mail or into the image hosting sites) when I chose to simply send to: ( or save to:) after seeing the image I wanted. ( quick right-click would do that for me) I have found I must go to File on the toolbar. Select Save or Save to;
In this way my dropdown menu has 8 options, not limited to four in the other way of sending the image somewhere. Jason (JEServices) gets credit for clearing that problem up. It had perplexed me to no end. Maybe you should try that, [b]Scarlett]/b] :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 19 September 2004 - 04:37 PM.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:09 PM

So sorry phawgg. I get so frustrated that I sometimes am not very clear. This happens when Im printing a screenshot in Paint. It seems that it only wants me to do a bmp. Ive done a screenshot before using Paint. Just recently I am having this problem. I clear the box and type in Desktop.jpg But then it is really a bmp The dropdown under the box w/ the name only has 3 or 4 bmp options. Jpeg or gif does not show. Im going to save a pic off the web and see what happens. Please bear with me. And thanks for the quick reply. :trumpet:.....EDIT: Ok I just right clicked on my avatar and the 2 dropdown options were jpeg and gif. Hmmm...I wonder why in Paint the only choice is bmps. Maybe Im wrong but I could of sworn that it wasn't like that before. :thumbsup:..........EDIT:I just pasted a screenshot in Word. And was unable to save it as a jpeg only text doc options available. Now I do know for sure that I posted a desktop screenshot here @ B.C. using Word. Which I uploaded to Photobucket and inserted the link in a post. Im overworked and overtired, maybe I forgotten how and or Im missing something. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 19 September 2004 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

Irfanview is free....paste your screen shot, resize it and upload it to your webhost. Give it a try :thumbsup:
http://www.irfanview.com/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:27 AM

Hey Thanks Jacee! :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 26 September 2004 - 07:28 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:32 PM

scarlett, I forgot to give you one needed step...but you may have figured it out by now. After resizing, click on file (drop down menu) and 'save as'. :thumbsup:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:59 AM

Thanks a bunch Jacee! :thumbsup: Just what I needed. Very user friendly. I had it down in no time at all. Great tip! I also love the fact that it does so many file types. Sound files too! I am a member @ another board and was having trouble posting screenshots there. Now that is not a problem. TYVM,Scarlett
Posted Image

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

Bump[/size] :thumbsup:

Quote: Phawgg Sep 18 2004, 04:12 PM

"could you send us a screenshot?" Ever hear that? Wonder how to do it?

"For screenshots, just like the send to function, windows operating systems are fully capable of doing them. A good question is, like in my case, can the user do it? Generally, to some degree I guess. Try this, for a screenshot of the desktop itself . From the keyboard, hit Print Scrn. Use the mouse to select | Start | All Programs | Paint | Edit | Paste | File | Save As: and fill in the open fields:
Filename “Desktop”
Save as type “JPEG”
Save in: My Documents | My learn HJT information

That’s how this “lesson” began. It’s a little trickier to get other results. Try: Print Scrn, then | Start | All Programs | Paint | Edit | Paste | View | Tool Box (checked) | View | Status Bar (checked) | choose from toolbox the dotted line rectangle image upper right hand Select | move the cursor, now cross-hairs, to a corner of what will be a smaller part of your desktop image. Click-hold-drag until you like the crop rectangle & release. If you don’t like it, click anywhere, and click | Select | to start over. Your cursor will change to a | Move | when it enters the crop area. Click-hold-drag the rectangle to the upper left corner. Choose | Image |

first ya gotta figure this out

Attributes will appear. Until I learned, the handwritten note indicates the sophistication level I had with this easy program. The default numbers will be those of your screen resolution. Mine, being set at 1024 x 768 needs to be changed to… at this point… you guess. I say that because you do not see your full screen. Just figure if your rectangle is long and narrow & you can see all of it, it’ll be less than 1024 (or 800 if your screen resolution is 800 x 600) and the height is a portion of 768, as this example is a little more than a third of full size. Change the numbers and click OK. You’ll lose the majority of the desktop image (and in doing so, have just what you want to send to bleepingcomputer. We’ll get to how that’s done in a bit) Close the window, choose to save, and the Save to box will appear. Follow the prompts.
close but no cigar!!

Alright, lets do it one more time to get it right. This time pay attention to the Status bar. As you draw the crop rectangle, you can see it’s size in W pixels x H pixels constantly changing as you move the Select. As soon as you decide to release from the click-hold-drag those numbers disappear. Too bad. If you remember them you don’t have to guess. Move | Image | Attributes | the exact numbers into the appropriate fields and you’ll have what you want.

Now go to the Photobucket. It’s Free. Do what you like to set up an account. Then you’ll see this:
free online image hosting (always consider donating, of course)

To simplify matters, after entering My Album choose Browse | Open | Submit | wait a bit, then locate your new image. Check the box under it, then Click the URL field next to it. It’s highlighted. Right-click, choose Copy. Close or minimize the window. Come back here to Tests & Scribbles. Post new topic. Click on the http button. Locate your I-bar over the field. Right-click Paste. When the field changes to "MyWebpage" type in HERE. It's OK... the next step. Click on "preview post" at the bottom of your white window. Do a little scrollin' and you'll be able to see what your post looks like. Be sure and try out clickin' on the word HERE to double check that everything is alright.

Have Fun."

Edited by Scarlett, 15 February 2006 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

#14 G3ccO

G3ccO

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:36 PM

This tutorial was a bit confusing! I think the tutorial is trying to tell users how to take a screenshot? If so you could have said,

To take a screenshot press the "Print Screen" or "Print Scr" button on your keyboard. Once you have completed this step open an image editor such as MSPaint or Gimp and press Ctrl + V to paste the image into the application. Then save the image to a desired located by pressing Ctrl + S on most applications.

I guess that is how I would have said it. It dosen't matter though. As long as people get what your trying to say! :flowers: If you want to take a screenshot of a particular window and leave out the rest of the screen from your screenshot hold down the alt (it may be ctrl not alt) key along with Print Screen. It will then take a screenshot of the current active window and leave out the rest of the screen!

And Photobucket is nice but why register for an account? Why not upload your images to www.tinypic.com or www.imageshack.us where you don't need to create an account! :thumbsup:
"How the mind works is still a mystery. We understand the hardware, but we don't have a clue about the operating system." --James Watson

If you would like a Gmail Account let me know. I have several invites left and have no use for them!

Mostly Classical Winamp Distrowatch Linux Iso Google

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

If you check around, there are many free printscreen applications that make the process much easier, and allow you to manipulate the print before saving. I use one called Gadwin Printscreen, for example.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users