Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion sv6700 PoweR Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lancelot128

lancelot128

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Ok HP Pavillion dv6700 Laptop.

up until a few days ago np, but now won't power up

Attach power cord and it shows on the front that it is attached and receiving power (blue Light).
When you push the "on" button the "on" light and another light to the right of the power light come on but the unit does not power up and when you release the on button all three lights go off for a few seconds then the power light returns. if you continue to hold down the power button the 2 outer lights will continue to blink on and off as well as all the lights across the top of the keyboard.

Cd/dvd drawer will not open except with a paperclip, but when a disc is inserted the disc does spin but won't read because no power elsewhere.

Power is rated to 18.5 volts which is what the power pack is putting out (tested with mulitmeter).

Just using the battery same results.

Sons laptop he said he had read where there was a problem with motherboards on the laptop series. But not sure this is the problem any thoughts on motherboard causing not to power up?

After some more testing I believe it is the motherboard that has gone bad.

I could replace it with the same motherboard but afraid the same problem would arise again since HP has had so many motherboard problems with this laptop.
Any suggestions on an aftermarket motherboard that is not going to cost a fortune?
The board is a realtek (RT8201cl) nic, model # KNO45EA.

Any thought would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Sounds like the NVidia curse.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1...dia-g84-g86-bad

Eventhough Charlie wrote the article, it is right on. You should get on Livechat on the HP website and see if they will cover repairs. I have had pretty bood luck dealing with them on NVidia laptop/notebook problems. NVidia set aside $100 million+ to fix/repair this problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 lancelot128

lancelot128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

so along with replacing the Motherboard and Processor I also need to replace the Video card? Dang getting expensive! should I bother? I wonder?

#4 lancelot128

lancelot128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

Why won't HP honor their responsibility and dix this problem or force nvidia to pay for their defect?

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Is it still under warranty?
If so, just drop it at the local service centre and make a fuss about it. :flowers:

They will honor the warranty and do the needful.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 lancelot128

lancelot128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Can anyone who has had this problem tell me if they replaced the motherboard and if so with what motherboard I have not been able to get any info on what to use in place of the current one, and do not want to replace it with thesame motherboard that will only fail somewhere in the future!

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

They replace it with the exact same motherboard. The underlying problem has never been fixed. There are no other boards that fit. It will have a new BIOS that essentially keeps the cooling fan running all the time, which makes it noisier and reduces battery life.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 lancelot128

lancelot128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

They replace it with the exact same motherboard. The underlying problem has never been fixed. There are no other boards that fit. It will have a new BIOS that essentially keeps the cooling fan running all the time, which makes it noisier and reduces battery life.

How about after market motherboards? I sure don't want to put the same HP motherboard in only to have it happen again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users