Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different speed between DSL modem and test results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Techrookie

Techrookie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

I have a desktop running XP cabled to a Netgear router and a laptop running Vista connecting via wireless. I recently upgraded my Verizon DSL speed from 1.5 to 3Mbps and I am using a Westell 2200 modem. The modem page shows a down speed of 2.464 and I understand that I might not get the top speed all the time due to the location of the central office and the condition of the various lines. However all the speed tests that I ran have shown a down speed of no more than 2.0; I get the same result if I cable the desktop directly to the modem (last test had 2.080).
Is there a logical reason for this difference? Are there settings on the modem or the router that can be changed to achieve this?
I have researched this all over but have not been able to find an answer. Any help on this would be tremendously appreciated.
Thanks......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Unfortunately all ISPs cover themselves with the statement "...up to X speed.." But I am all for getting what I pay for, how was your speed at the 1.5? How much more a month is the 3? I am asking because if you were getting close to 1.5 and the difference in price is $20 - $25 for .5 improvement, that seems a little much but I am guessing you weren't close to 1.5 lol.

First thing to do is call your ISP, have them look at your line to make sure your not leaking bandwidth anywhere. They can do tests all the way to your modem. This is just to make sure you're ok. While you have them on the phone ask them if there is a firmware upgrade for your Westell. Most ISPs that use Westells get "blank" ones and use their own firmware so you have to goto them to get an upgrade/update not the Westell site.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Techrookie

Techrookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

With the 1.5 I was getting between 1.2 & 1.3; for the first 3 months the 3 is costing me the same so I'll stick with it at least for that time. Verizon did send a tech over and he checked everything and verified that at the outside box I am getting what I am permisioned for. He split the phone and DSL lines inside and installed better wiring for the DSL line. The only thing he couldn't do is explain why the speed that we see on the modem address is more than the pc's are reporting (as he explained to me he is a phone and not a pc tech). I will check with them if there is a firmware upgrade for the modem.

I would be satisfied if I could get the 2.3/2.4 that I see on the modem's IP address but so far I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is due to.

#4 Techrookie

Techrookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

I made a few changes which got the modem speed up to 2.88. I disconnected the phone which was going to the same jack as the modem and I replaced the cable that goes from the modem to the jack. On the network I now get 2.44 so I'm still trying to figure out why there is that small difference and if there is a way to fix it. In the meantime what I have now is much better than before.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users