Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell inspiron 1200 No Power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hcooc

hcooc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the site. A friend told me to come here if I ever had any problems with anything to do with a computer, so here I am. I have a problem with a Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop. I use it via wireless connection but a month or so ago, I had to re-format my main computer due to many viruses and when I did, i couldn't get my router to work so the Dell has been sitting on my desk since then. I did open it a couple of weeks ago to see if I could get it to work but couldn't get it online, so I set it back on the desk. Yesterday, I got my router to work and tried the Dell. It wouldn't come on at all, no lights, no sound, nothing. Son in law tested the power supply and all is well with that. I left it on the charger overnight but no indicator lights are on so no power. Any ideas to try?? Is there a fuse or something somewhere?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. You guys have a very nice site here.
hcooc

Edit: Add descriptive title-MG

Edited by garmanma, 27 December 2009 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Just for giggles take the battery out and right back in, I had ones years back did that every once in awhile. I think that that from jouncing the contacts did not make all the time. See if that gets the lights going.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hcooc

hcooc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

yeah, tried that, tested the power supply and is good, just nothing. any other ideas??
hcooc

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Could be in the jack, wiring in the computer or battery contacts, I would pull the battery out, hook up the power supply then check the contacts for the battery to see if in fact the current is reaching them. That will isolate the problem a little more, could be the battery just decided to die!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

1200s are notorious for breaking the internal power jack.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users