Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Internet not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Basically im trying to fix my mothers laptop right now and nothing is working, see my little neice was playing on the computer clicked something and now i cannot get an IP address. Wired and wireless both say connected but no internet at all, windows auto fix for the problem proved about as usefull as vista itself. Any ideas on how to get the internet back up and running, i tried to search online for a solution but vista has so many problems with it i couldnt wade through the hundreds of problems that could cause this. Im quite experianced with computers (XP specifially) and really need help as i dont want to reinstall the whole OS for such an annoying problem. thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

Bump, in serious need of help here please

#3 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

hello

see if this helps. http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-20...-2000xpvista-2/
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#4 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

No such luck, interesting thing i found is when im CMD i type ipconfig, all the adaptors say "media diconnected" aside from my Wireless which has no default gateway. and when i try to /release it i ge tthe error " the requested operation requires evaluation"

#5 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

Bump. I dont know jack about vista even some leads to what it could be would be a massive help

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

" the requested operation requires evaluation"

that means when you open cmd you must right click and "run as administrator"

hope this helps
Have A Great Day

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

have you tried resetting the modem? most you just unplug for like 30 seconds but some you have to use a saftey pin and push a reset button for about 30 seconds.
maybe contact your isp.
Have A Great Day

#8 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

i type ipconfig, all the adaptors say "media diconnected"

Is the erthernet cable plugged in at this time? If not try with it plugged in with elevated command prompt. when this all started was it wired or wireless? if wireless it may just be turned off.
try control panel(classic view) > windows mobility center > turn wireless on.

best of luck
Have A Great Day

#9 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

The problem started in wireless, we have several computers on the network its the only one with a problem. And wired wireless makes no difference it says connected but nothing works. I cant imagine what the hell my neice did to this computer. And when i run the ipconfi/renew nothing happens. and yes the wireless is on. Like i said im the house/family IT ive went through every possible problem i know. If it helps at all which since its microsofts gauge im sure its bs, the three part visual internet connection thing in vista has a nasty X between the second and third icon, and for some reason my network is identified as Unidentified network. This is very frustrating and im just about ready to reinstall windows on this expensive paper weight

#10 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

one addition in Ipconfig, all active connections dont seem to have "connection-specific DNS suffix" or a "default Gateway" im going to take a stab in the dark and guess this is most likely my problem

#11 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

have you tried system restore to before problem started?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...system-restore/

#12 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Yes i have, it errors saying my hard drive is corrupt and to check it, upon trying to check it the peice of bleep errors more and tells me it cant even run check. I have also done a bit more research and noticed my interney is considered "Local Only" ive tried resetting my workgroup deleting it, reinstalling drivers (for some reason toshiba docent feel the need to include drivers for the OS the laptop came with only windows 7). one forum told me to go into my registry and check for a ID of some sort thru localmachine/software/microsoft/windows NT/network card But for some reason NOTHING is in that registry entry. Im about to just give up. Note to everybody reading this DO NOT USE VISTA it is the single biggest most stressful peice of bleep ever invented by man. I can count several times when this poorly programmed turd has actually tried to load a web page as part of "internet troubleshooting"....are they retarded?

#13 Hewhosknownasiam

Hewhosknownasiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

no more help/suggestion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users