Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single, Dual, or Duo Core

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xf220

xf220

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

I am looking for either a desktop or a laptop for my classes. I previously had purchased a mac book pro, just because. Giant mistake. I could have gotten a machine with equal or greater components for half the price. Also I hated the mac os. Not that it didn't work, but it looked like it was made for kids.

I managed to drop the thing late one night, and 4 months later the screen stopped working. It would cost me at least $600 in repair parts. I figured I would just get a new system, since I purchased the laptop in 2007.

I used to be some what informed when it came to computer systems, but have clocked out of the whole computer world about 3 years ago. I am not at all familiar with the dual core processors.

I am using this computer for general internet use, research, and Microsoft office and itunes. I don't ever really do anything else. I don't own a single computer game, or use it to watch dvds. I might even consider getting a laptop without an optical drive, but then again I still would like to burn cds.

An average work load for the machine would be a couple PDF files open, fire fox or ie open with 3 or 4 tabs open, outlook/entourage, and microsoft word running at the same time. And then probably what ever security is running in the background.

My question would be do you think it would be okay to buy a system with a single core processor? Or will windows 7 require 2 cores.
What about the dual core?
I know from reading that core 2 duo is the one to look at, but the price point machines feature the two former.

Edited by xf220, 27 December 2009 - 09:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xf220

xf220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

An update I suppose, I looked at the CPU benchmarks and narrowed my choices down to 3.

The rankings are out of about 1,000 processors.

Intel Pentium 4300 (ranked #221)
Intel Core2 Duo T6600 (ranked #198)
Turrion II M500 (ranked #240)

#3 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

I say for the money....this would do just fine....http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Midnight+Breeze/9672226.p?id=1218142704651&skuId=9672226

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

A Core2Duo processor will meet your requirements and the T6600 is what you'll find at that price point.
If you intend to use Win7, I suggest opting for atleast 3GB of DDR2 RAM.

As for the HDD, make sure it's a 7200RPM one.

Most laptops these days come with a DVD burner, so that should be the least of your worries.

Post back if you have more queries.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 December 2009 - 03:59 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users