Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard, Network Card error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cajun20th

Cajun20th

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

I am having problems with a new motherboard (Biostar T41 HD). The NIC is not working and I have updated all drivers and checked the bios. Is there anything else I can check? In device manager I have an exclamation mark next to Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, but can't find a driver for this specific item. I reinstalled the newest RTL 8111D driver to no avail. I get the error message "This device cannot start. Error code 10".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

Is there a jumper for the network card on the board ? I used to have a board that could turn off the sound codec on the board.The bios would fully turn it off.Not sure if they do that to network cards but its worth checking.

Edited by starcraftmaster, 27 December 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Just to clarify, you used one of these drivers?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/t-ser...er.php?S_ID=413

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Cajun20th

Cajun20th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

I do not see any jumper on the motherboard for the NIC, plus, device manager does see the device, it just says that the device cannot start. I did install the XP driver from the Biostar website and i also installed the latest driver from Realtek. I've also searched my error through the Microsoft Knowledge Base and they suggested to reinstall the driver, which i have done, but it still doesn't work.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yer it did that to my sound card , it would show up with a !

Any way what os you using ?

#6 Cajun20th

Cajun20th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

XP Pro Service Pack 3

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

This is the driver your using ? Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP x86/XP x64/ http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Driver/L.../2KXP/setup.exe

Other then that i dont know what to do.

What i would do is try downloading a live cd(Linux) and booting up and seeing if the network card can connected to the internet. Ubuntu does not need any drivers for network cards.

#8 Cajun20th

Cajun20th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Just to let everyone know, I finally fixed my situation with my onboard NIC not working. Believe it or not, I tried removing my PCIe Video Card and when i turned on my computer with my monitor hooked up to the on board Video ouput, My computer recognized a few new devices (video adapter, audio adapter) plus I noticed my LAN adapter orange light was on. So, now all is working ok, except I haven't tried putting my 1gb video card back in (too scared to mess things up i guess!!!!) Thanks for the help though!!! and no, I do not quite know why this fixed my problem yet, and just to let everyone know, Biostar suggested i either use a PCI Network Card or send in my motherboard for repairs. Go figure!!! thanks!!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

A PCI network card...is cheap, easily installed, and there is no loss of system.

Examples at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....240%20-%20%2410.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users