Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing CA's ETrust Anti-Virus!?!?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jayfloyd1979

jayfloyd1979

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

I got this PC from my g/f's grandfather. When we got it it came with an Anti-Virus program called Computer Associates ETrust ITM Anti-Virus. I have always used AVG so I uninstalled Etrust and installed the most updated version of AVG(at the time was 6.0 or 7.0). It worked fine for a long time untill just recently when I updated AVG to the latest version it told me that my machine already had an anti-virus installed and that if I continued with the installation then error's may occure. The Anti-Virus is the ETrust ITM, I have looked all over the internet trying to find an answer and have tried everyting that I have found to try. I have been through the Registry about 4 times looking for remnants of the program but Windows is still saying that there is an Anti-Virus installed and that it's out of date, even though there is none there. Please, Someone HELP ME!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

You need to down load the removal tool there is no other way to get it and most other AV's off your system.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 jayfloyd1979

jayfloyd1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Phil, But where can I find the Removal tool for that?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

A couple to try!

Phil

http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-ca
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-124569-...l-suite-removal

#5 jayfloyd1979

jayfloyd1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

Well, I tried both of those programs and still when windows starts it says that eTrust ITM might be out of date and if I try to install AVG it tells me that I already have an AV program and that if I continue it may cause errors. I am really at a loss. I would strongly suggest to anyone readying this to not get Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005. It is more like a malware. It has done nothing but slow my machine down and give me headache after headache. Please anyone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

<<I would strongly suggest to anyone readying this to not get Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005. It is more like a malware. It has done nothing but slow my machine down and give me headache after headache.>>

<<I have always used AVG so I uninstalled Etrust and installed the most updated version of AVG(at the time was 6.0 or 7.0). It worked fine for a long time...>>

Well, which is true?

Initial post indicates one thing, your rant indicates something different.

Louis

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

I had CA for near 20 years a buddy worked there it is just a few miles from me, over the years it turned into major bloat ware though it did keep me safe. Last year looking for more speed I switched to the Kaspersky 2009 suit. The difference in system performance was amazing, recently I decided to give MSE a try it is as fast as KAV and also free. Most all items the offer protection steal from the system, it is to the point where the systems need more power dedicated to protection no matter how you cut it. Face it is getting more and more evil out there!

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

SO are you saying that when you go into Add/Remove programs, E Trust still shows up?

Errr...

You need to down load the removal tool there is no other way to get it and most other AV's off your system.

Gosh. I have been doing it all wrong. I simply remove them using the built in features of Windows. :thumbsup:

#9 jayfloyd1979

jayfloyd1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

no it actually doesn't appear to be anywhere not even in the registry. but when i run windows without an AV program the windows security alert says that eTrust ITM might be out of date, and when trying to install AV program they find that CA eTrust AV is already installed. this is so damn frustrating!!!

Edited by jayfloyd1979, 29 December 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#10 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have used Revo uninstaller with no problems. It uses the applications' uninstaller first, then checks the registry for leftovers and gives you the means to remove all the stray bits of a given program that's been installed. Here's a link to the free version, http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/...4-10687648.html
Steve

#11 jayfloyd1979

jayfloyd1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

I have actually already tried revo(2 times). It came up with the same results. Still not showing that it is there but windows security still thinks that it is there and when installing a new AV prog it also thinks that eTrust is still on my machine. I think the next step is going to be a format if i can't get this thing gone. Thanks for all your help guys.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

It sounds like the Windows Security Center need`s reset. There is a manual fix but have not been able to find it. There is also an automated fix. I know who the Author is but have never had to try it myself as I turn the security center off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users