Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a reliable inexpensive dial-up ISP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

A elderly neighbor is interested in connecting to the Internet for the first time. I'll help him install all the basic protections first (AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot S&D, etc.) before connecting, but he needs an inexpensive ISP, something I'm completely ignorant about since switching to cable several years ago. (OBTW, if the price of gas keeps jumping, I'm probably gonna go back to dial-up myself :thumbsup:)

So I'm soliciting advice about which dial-up ISP's to consider or, conversly, which to avoid. His needs sound very basic, just wants to e-mail friends and read the news as far as I can tell. We're in Northern California and I can do the digging as to local access numbers, etc. if I can just get some names that are giving others good service..

Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

I've always liked Net Zero. I used it a lot when I traveled before hotels had data ports in their rooms. And the price is good I think it's $9.95 p/mnth.

http://www.netzero.net/
Posted Image

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

unrepper: Thanks for the tip and the link.

Just an aside: didn't there used to be some "free" ISP's (probably choked with advertisements)? I seem to remember Costco and/or WalMart having bins of CD's with "free Internet" banners. But that was probably back when dinosaurs ruled the earth.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:04 AM

net zero is still free, but I think you get 10 hours a month of online time.
Posted Image

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi twinsdad. Long time no see.

didn't there used to be some "free" ISP's

There were a bunch of them that depended on banner advertising that took up about a third of your screen to pay the bills but they couldn't make them fly as it became more or less general knowledge how to block the ads.

I know Netscape has an internet provider service. They say its unlimited dialup for $9.95/month. Details here. The first month is free and no charges are incurred if you cancel before the end of the first month. The Terms of Use say its Unlimited so I guess it must be.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

I like netzero.I have a free account so when I travel I can use the internet in the hotels. You get 10 hours a month free and the first week, you get unlimited internet time.

It is not bombarded by adds and if you do not use internet explorer you do not have to even look at there toolbar that has to be installed to keep it freeI guess.

Hope this helps

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

Leurgy: Thanks for the tip and the link. "Long time no see"? Yeah, you guys got this crabby old puter working so good I only need to lurk and commiserate with those having problems. Wish I was smart enough to help more than once in a while. Regards.

unrepper & CGM3: Thanks for the added info re NetZero. Totally free for <10 hours/month.sounds like a good deal for anyone with a high-speed connection to use as a backup if the primary ISP takes a dump...does that make sense? Is it possible that even I could figure out how to add a second ISP, one thru the built-in modem, the other thru the external cable modem? I'm gonna try it during the next quiet moment around here (which means sometime in the next year or so :thumbsup: )

#8 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:25 AM

Hi... I use a company called HOTJJO.NET, $9.95 a month, no contracts, great tech support that return calls, stay on the phone until the problem is resolved, the few that have come up. They also have an accelorator, included in that price. I have been with them since 4-04, very pleased.

Site is: www.hotjjo.net and the toll free number is: 1-888-868-4161

They have really done anything to make my online experience non-problematic and simple. You may wish to check them out.

Hope you find what fits your needs...

parrotplay :thumbsup:

#9 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

parrotplay: Thanks for the tip...good timing as we're hooking-up this week.

#10 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Hello twinsdad!

I use Juno. www.juno.com It is $9.95 a month. It works great for me. I never have any issues or get disconnected for unknown reasons.

Good luck with the neighbor,

diego88

#11 Pectral

Pectral

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:31 PM

Stowe Telecom :thumbsup:

Cheap - $5/month. Unlimited access. Reliable. A free keep alive pinger utility should be employed to keep the ISP connection from being dropped when idle.

ALWAYS confirm with your local telephone company, that the number you intend to use is a local call, or falls within your local calling plan. StoweTel utilizes many alternate local carriers whose assigned exchanges may not appear in your telephone directory maps. StoweTel is not responsible for any telephone charges incurred by users.

As of December 23, 2004 @ 1725 EST .. If you are experiencing problems on the West Coast and ROAMING, Please click here to check the ZipLink Access Number in your area.

ALWAYS confirm that there is a number local to you BEFORE signing up for the service. Failure to do so is NOT grounds for a refund. Some states do not have full coverage, please check first!

#12 Pectral

Pectral

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

Here's three free keep alive pinger utilities to select from.

>>> BySoft StayAlive Pro

>>> KeepRAS

>>> Sam Spade

#13 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

Pectral:Many thanks but Stowe Telecom has no local (non-message unit) number for me yet, but I've bookmarked your link in case they can help in the future. $5.00/month is a good deal. I'm also gonna hang on to those keep-alive pinger utility links to use whatever the ISP. Regards.

#14 Pectral

Pectral

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

Pectral:Many thanks but Stowe Telecom has no local (non-message unit) number for me yet

Oh shoot. That's too bad.

Stowe's the best deal out there.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:31 AM

Hi twinsdad long time no hear.
Hope the family is healthy and happy. I had a couple of guys at the fire station talking about sharing a DSL connetion 1500' with a pair parabolic antenna (highly directional). One told me his mother gets 800kbs reliabily. He set it up because she likes to look for recipes :thumbsup: . If you are close enough I can ask how much it cost and what they did. I did a google and it looks like about $25 to $35 per antenna. Plus a wifi card for your friends, another $20 to $35.
By the way my twins made the cover of Parent's Mag again. I'm tickled pink. :flowers:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users