Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to turn off S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring on a harddrive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

Every time I boot up my Windows XP PC I get the S.M.A.R.T. monitor warning that my hard drive has got a problem and I have to press F1 to continue to the login screen.

I have replaced the hard drive with a new 160gb drive, I have been getting the S.M.A.RT. error message for about 4 years but I have never had a problem so I have also put the old hard drive back in as a slave/storage drive.

But when I boot up the PC I still get the S.M.A.R.T. monitor warning even though I have turned off S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the old drive in the BIOS.

I plan to use the old drive to store music and photos and I regularly backup all my drives so I have minimised the risk of the old drive finally packing up on me.

What I really need top know is if I can turn off the S.M.A.R.T. monitor warning that I get at boot up and how I would do this?

Thanks for you time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Rather than turn off the warning (which is equivalent to your choosing to ignore a traffic light at a busy intersection)...I suggest heeding it and taking steps to protect your access to any files which are on said drive.

If you want to turn it off, there is usually a place in the BIOS for doing so.

If you are getting SMART warnings when it's turned off...I would say that your motherboard or BIOS is in trouble.

I turn off the warnings myself, been doing it for years (I can tell when a drive is going bad by looking at Event Viewer and other symptoms). Not every warning of hard drive failure is a SMART warning.

Louis

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I'm guessing then if I have disabled the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring in the BIOS but it is still giving me the warning on boot up that there is nothing else I can do?

I wonder if there is any software out there that can help me turn it off?

#4 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Is there another way to turn it off apart from in the BIOS?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Not that I am aware of.

Louis

#6 Parasight

Parasight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hello, although late in answering  

Try this

Find the app in: control panel\administrative tools\computer management\services and applications\services

Find "Smart Card" in the services list and open it.

You can then enable, or disable smart software

Hope this helps if you have not found how to via windows or hope it helps others who are having the same problem  :)

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

Find "Smart Card" in the services list and open it.

The Windows Smart Card Service is used to operate devices that read chip enabled smart cards, which is not related to the S.M.A.R.T (Self Monitoring And Reporting Technology) alert for a hard drive showing fault status at system boot.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

Why don't you tell us about your system and maybe somebody will be able to look at the settings:

If your system is a Dell what is the Service Tag number?

If your system is an HP what is the serial number?

No matter what, do this so we can see what you have:

Click the Start button/orb in the lower-left corner of your screen. Or, press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.

In the search box enter:

msinfo32

Select/click msinfo32.exe and the System Information dialog box will open.

Click on System Summary, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For drive information, expand the Components, click Storage, select Disks, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here.

Edited by joseibarra, 11 September 2017 - 08:52 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

This is actually a topic from 8 years ago.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users