Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning off my display

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SweetnLow

SweetnLow

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:01 AM

I have a laptop and I want to be able to turn off the display with my power button or my Fn buttons. After looking at my power options and extensive google research, I haven't found anything like it. Fn+6 doesn't work on my computer and I don't want to download a program, nor do I want to write my own. I just want to turn off my display while I'm downloading something while I sleep. Thank you for your support in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

I was almost going to code a program for turning off display but then I realized you don't want to download any program. In that case, you have the good old method:

- Click on Start Menu (The round blue orb on left-bottom with Windows icon inside, it glows when you move your mouse over it)
- Type Power in the search box (you can type in lowercase too)
- You would see Power Options popup in the Start Menu search programs. Click on it.
- This would open a window with title Power Options this window controls power settings.
- Now look carefully (yes don't miss) for Choose when to turn off display. It would be on left side menu. Click on it.
- Now set the time to turn off display from the drop down list. If your computer is idle (no keyboard, mouse input) for that much time, your display will turn off.
- Click on Save changes.

Now you can sleep and after so much idle time (that you set) your display shall turn off.

If you are old school and like command prompt(well DOS is long gone), I have something for you too,
- Click on Start Menu
- Type cmd in the search box
- You would see cmd.exe popup in the Start Menu search programs. right-click on it. and select Run as administrator
- In the command prompt window type the following pressing Enter after each line :
powercfg -Change -monitor-timeout-ac 10
powercfg -Change -monitor-timeout-dc 10
Here 10 means 10 minutes (your screen will turn off after 10 minutes of idle time). You can change it to what you like.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

I know you said you don't want to download a program, but I found a very simple but useful program you can use for this (and a lot more).

It is called "nircmd" by Nirsoft.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip (85.5 KB, very small download)

And here is how to make a keyboard shortcut to turn off the monitor. :huh:

I use mine all the time. But yeah, set your Power Settings to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes or something like Romeo29 said. But when I want to turn off the monitor instantly (to save power when on battery, etc...), I use the keyboard shortcut. Keep in mind however, it just turns the screen off until you move the mouse (like a screensaver does). It's not like those specialty keys you see on some laptops (Acer has them, I know) that actually switch the screen off. On those, you have to hit the same button to turn it back on. But with the Nircmd, just move the mouse or touchpad.

Hint: I use F6 for turning the screen off and Alt + F6 for the "Lock and Power Down" (explained in the HowToGeek article).

Enjoy!! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 SweetnLow

SweetnLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

Thanks, I think making a shortcut is exactly what I was looking for. I hope it works out for me. And Romeo29, I think I could trust a program made by someone on the forums I just didn't want one of the cheap stupid ones that I found through google.

edit, I didn't want to download anything. But I will if you've used it and are willing to vouch for it.

Edited by SweetnLow, 27 December 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I'm always looking for some specific utility program to solve a very specific problem, and I'm always leery of the stuff I found. I usually try out a couple before I find what I'm looking for.

But yeah, I'll vouch for that "nircmd" program. It is extremely useful and I use that F6 key everyday to turn off the screen (it's the only function key that doesn't have a primary multimedia purpose). I can also vouch for the "Lock and Power Down" program they gave (Alt + F6 is the shortcut I use for it). HowToGeek is a great website with tons of useful information. Take a look around. You might learn something! :huh:

Let me know how it works out for you. :huh:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Well, here is a little program I made in 5 minutes :huh:
Drop it on your desktop and double click on it. Your monitor should be instantly turned off.
If you move your mouse or press keys on keyboard, then your monitor would come back alive.

Download:
http://cid-3f1e65b057314bc2.skydrive.live....lic/turnoff.zip
md5 hash for exe : d6be285dcf9ecf3d6195e81039831d12

#7 dimensionalist

dimensionalist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hi Romeo29, i downloaded and used your Turnoff program on my Imac - Bootcamp Vista 64.
It worked but my screen doesn't turn back on when i moved my mouse or
press keys on keyboard. I am using Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.
Anyway it will work with bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse? Thanks!

Edited by dimensionalist, 04 January 2010 - 05:46 AM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:19 AM

It should work. Try to move mouse for 4-5 seconds more.
You can use the program suggested by keyboardNinja above. See if it works.
Personally I don't have bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but it should work in any case.

#9 dimensionalist

dimensionalist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi Romeo29, my display keeps turning back on after about 10 to 15 secs with your turnoff program.
Is there anyway to troubleshoot it?

I've been trying to Turn off my display using the power settings in Vista 64 which didn't work for me.
Tried using different programs like Mon0 1.1 etc, i downloaded from Cnet just to turn off my
display but all failed. Display keep turning back on, even when there's no programs running.
I think there are programs running at the background which i don't know what is it,
keeping my display or my computer from going to sleep mode. But seems too complicated for a novice
like me to understand how PC and OS works. :huh:

Is there anyway to put the display to sleep mode?
Can anyone help me? Thanks

Edited by dimensionalist, 06 January 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Have you tried the program I gave here? It works great. :huh:

I know you said you don't want to download a program, but I found a very simple but useful program you can use for this (and a lot more).

It is called "nircmd" by Nirsoft.

And here is how to make a keyboard shortcut to turn off the monitor. :huh:

I use mine all the time. But yeah, set your Power Settings to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes or something like Romeo29 said. But when I want to turn off the monitor instantly (to save power when on battery, etc...), I use the keyboard shortcut. Keep in mind however, it just turns the screen off until you move the mouse (like a screensaver does). It's not like those specialty keys you see on some laptops (Acer has them, I know) that actually switch the screen off. On those, you have to hit the same button to turn it back on. But with the Nircmd, just move the mouse or touchpad.

Hint: I use F6 for turning the screen off and Alt + F6 for the "Lock and Power Down" (explained in the HowToGeek article).

Enjoy!! :thumbup2:

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hi Romeo29, my display keeps turning back on after about 10 to 15 secs with your turnoff program.

In your last post you said, your display turns off but never turns back on even after you press keys on keyboard or mouse. Now you say different thing.
I think your mouse or/and keyboard are faulty.

#12 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Why not set it to "do nothing when I close the lid" in the power settings options, then when you want the screen to turn off, just close the lid?

#13 dimensionalist

dimensionalist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

In your last post you said, your display turns off but never turns back on even after you press keys on keyboard or mouse. Now you say different thing.
I think your mouse or/and keyboard are faulty.

Sorry Romeo, it's my impatience. I moved my mouse and keyboard, even fixed the usb ones, no response when display was off when using your progam.
And i realized that my display will automatically come back to live after 10 to 15 sec with or without me using the mouse and keyboard.

Hi Keyboardninja, i've tried to download the programs "nircmd" by Nirsoft.

links are down, keep getting :Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /utils/nircmd.zip on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And Danrb, you said :
Why not set it to "do nothing when I close the lid" in the power settings options, then when you want the screen to turn off, just close the lid?

I dont quite understand. In my power setting - advance settings, i do see Power buttons and lid.
With Power button action, Sleep button action, Start menu button action. May i know which one should i set to do nothing?

Basically i just want my display to be in sleep mode, not my computer. Thanks all for your replies!

Edited by dimensionalist, 07 January 2010 - 02:14 AM.

#14 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I dont quite understand. In my power setting - advance settings, i do see Power buttons and lid.
With Power button action, Sleep button action, Start menu button action. May i know which one should i set to do nothing?

Basically i just want my display to be in sleep mode, not my computer. Thanks all for your replies!

You'll have to look around it varies a little depending on the laptop and the OS you're running IIRC but you'll find it, all of them offer the option to do so.

You'll find a setting "when I close the lid" (words to that effect, I'm not on a laptop at the moment so I can't look right now) Then it will allow 3 or so options the computer will do closing the lid, "hibernate", "sleep" or "do nothing".
Set it to do nothing, when you close the lid the screen will turn off but the computer will continue on doing whatever task you set it to do before hand, windows blissfully unaware the screen is no longer on.

Should prove fairly easy to find but if not let us know the OS you use, sorry if you mentioned it I missed it, and one of us will point you to it.

Post the OS you use and if nothing else I fire one up running the same one and post a bread crumb type trail how to get there.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi Keyboardninja, i've tried to download the programs "nircmd" by Nirsoft.

links are down, keep getting :Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /utils/nircmd.zip on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Not sure why that happens. It works fine for me (just tried it).

Here, try downloading it off my Skydrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users