Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot start-up delay after Windows logo appears

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 longdon853

longdon853

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post to bleepingcomputer, hope someone can help me with a small problem. Have an older HP Pavilion 7360, Windows 98SE, everything running fine until I installed and ran McAfee anti-virus version 9.0. It found and removed a virus and a trojan. (I wish I could remember which virus it was, all I recall is that it was somehow related to a startup item). Ever since then, system hangs at bootup. Specifically, it hangs when you get to the Windows logo screen, then after about 40 seconds loads the OS and everything runs fine. Bootvis shows delay occurring at TSR programs. I'm not sure what they are or how I modify them. Here's what I've tried so far to try to get rid of the 40 second delay:

1) Uninstalled McAfee

2) Ran scan registry fix from safe mode

3) ran System file checker to replace any possible modified system files

4) ran scan disk

5) checked for bad drivers loading, none showing up and Device Manager shows no exclamation marks.

6) Defragged hard drive

7) Did boot with step-by-step confirmation, hang occurs right after I prompt Vuser.386 file to be loaded.

8) went into msconfig, unchecked any unnecessary start-up items

My system is nice and clean after doing all of this, but I still get that 40 second delay. According to bootvis, seems to arise from TSR, but as noted above, I'm not sure how they work or what to do about them. Any help would be appreciated. I realize this is an old system, but its been very reliable for me and I still keep it around as a second PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:37 PM

Do you have SMS client software installed on the computer?

Unless your computer is still connected to the network that the SMS software enabled remote control for, you probably no longer need it.

See if it is in add/remove software.

SMS: Description of Remote Control Client Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=200483

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 August 2005 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users