Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP files and settings transfer wizard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tombstone

Tombstone

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:20 PM

Can anybody help me?

I recently had a pretty major system failure (check out my other threads) and decided that the only way to deal with the problem was to use my reload cd to restore the PC to its factory settings. This was done successfully. Before i used the reload cd i went into files and settings transfer wizard and made a copy of my settings on a dvd rom (or so i thought). the only problem is, that when i insert the dvd rom i made and try to run the files and settings wizard again, it tells me that the wrong disc is inserted and prompts me to insert disc 1. Only problem is...... I only made one disc!!! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know what i've done wrong and whether there is any way to get at some of the files from my old system because some of them were quite important.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

DVD-Rom drives are not capable of copying files you will need a CD Burner.

Have you put the disk in the drive and go to My Computer and double click the drive and see if there were anything on the disk?

#3 Tombstone

Tombstone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:40 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I didnt make a disc WITH my dvd rom, i MADE a dvd rom disc. the files are on the disc, but like i say the transfer wizard prompts me for disc 1...... but i only made 1!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

Try just opening the disc with Windows Explorer and copy or drag the files to your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users