Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help getting infected computer to start with XP disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twinkies712

twinkies712

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

I need help getting my PC to start. The computer is infected with worm.win32.netsky and some trojans. I was working to attempt to fix it, I needed to regain access to registry edit, task mangaer, and was trying to use system restore. I was working to install smitfraud, but that required restarting the computer. When I restarted it, it went on an endless cycle of restarting and restarting, no matter what mode. I have the XP disk, but do not know what to do next. I appreciate your help!
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

If you cannot do that Insert the XP disk and restart the PC to perform a repair Install.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 twinkies712

twinkies712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. However, I cannot get to my account, the computer just keeps restarting. Any advice from the black F8 screen?

#4 twinkies712

twinkies712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

I am trying to perform the Windows XP Repair Install. However, my computer turns off as soon as I get to thr screen with the options on it. HELP!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

OK, i think our only other shot is to copy this to a CD or USB and boot the PC from The VIPRE Rescue Program
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 twinkies712

twinkies712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

I cannot get the computer to start in any mode, so I have no idea how to get this program onto my computer. I tried using a CD but it will not boot from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users