Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to up audio performance-require major assistance!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

I will start first by describing my current audio setup in my room and then I will describe what it is that I am trying to do.

Current Setup: I have a custom built computer and a Sony 5.1 Home Theater System. Right now the computer is connected to the home theater using the onboard audio jack. It is a 3.5 mm. I bought a 3.5mm to RCA converter because the Home Theater only supports RCA, Digital Optical, or Digital Coax inputs. The onboard audio is by Realtek, I cannot get the specifics right now as I am not home (specifics can be retrieved eventually if they are needed by whoever is willing to help!!).

First problem: all of my audio needs to be set at about half to three quarters volume(at the receiver,while at full volume on computer) to be even at a decent volume.

Second Problem: I know that audio playing out of my itunes cannot possibly play in true surround (only simulated 5.1 from stereo) however when I use the realtek software that is on my computer to test the surround, the simulated sound travels smoothly from front left across to the center all the way to the front right and then fades away as the sound goes "behind" me to the right and the fades back in eventually on the left. I know this has something to do with the RCA input (pretty sure it only supports stereo..not positive).

Goal: purchase a sound card/cable that will enable me to watch movies and or listen to my music in better quality then I am currently getting. I know the music can't be true surround, but I want it to sound better/louder at a lower receiver volume(if you can understand what I mean by that). I also want the movies that are meant to be in true 5.1 surround sound to play as such. Now I know that some optical audio outputs on PCI sound cards only output in stereo and I know there's something about audio encoding in Dolby DS? (or something, but all of this is new to me. I'm very tech savvy so don't hesitate to thoroughly explain, audio is just not my thing.)

Hope someone can help! Sorry for long post. Cheers!

John

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 27 December 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users