Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Firerock

Firerock

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Since i don't understand a whole lot about computers i can't understand why after downloading sp2, Microsoft essentials, superantispywere, CCleaner why now the computer is running three times slower than when i started. Is there any way to get to run fast again.? What could be slowing it down. HP invent pavilion xt963, 1.3ghz 512mb, win XP home. You click on icons and have to wait and wait and wait, then finely the program comes up. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

Are you waiting until it is fully loaded IE: the hard drive light has stopped flashing? On my older machines I find they need time to wake up if you ask them to do things before they are loaded they kind of fall on there knees. I have all the same security stuff you do plus Malewarebytes, all that stuff does take it toll even on the newer faster machines. Also when you load a bunch of stuff it is a good idea to defrag the system. To find you mem hogs You can get an idea of which items are being hogs by opening the task manager do Control+Alt+Del then click on processes, you can expand the box by clicking the box in the upper right corner. firefox.exe or IE will be the biggest number on the right with MsMpEng.exe will be second in size.

Are you keeping up with system maintenance? Defragging IMO should be done weekly, scan disc done at least once a month, dumping temp files and junk you have covered with Ccleaner. Though IMO the registry part of Ccleaner should be disabled, mucking about with the registry is always iffy.

Phil

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users