Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Attempt to Repair Install - Partition Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ddeen25

ddeen25

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

Greetings -

HISTORY:
The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680. The following now becomes relevant, with relation to partitions. Originally, the laptop had Windows Vista pre-installed (in a beta version). Since many programs would not work with Vista, I wanted to uninstall. With an OEM XP Pro Install CD (SP2), and the help of a Microsoft technician (by phone), Windows Vista was uninstalled, and XP Pro was installed, including partitions. )

Recently, the laptop was in extended use (possible overheating) and it had been having RAM issues. The laptop "blue screened", with this BSOD message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x804F9B94)
Cannot go into the Recovery Console.

STEPS CHECKED:
1) MEMORY: I did a test on the memory sticks (with memtest86+ on a CD image) - both sticks are good, with no signs of any wear or heat corruption.
2) ATTEMPT TO DO A REPAIR INSTALL: When I load the XP Install CD, the very first page that comes up (after "Press any key..." and drivers/devices load) is the Partition Page. As you can see, only 16,496 MB for the C Drive were allocated.:

C: Partition1 (NTFS) 16,496 MB (989 MB free)
D: Partition2 (unknown) 59,820 MB (59,820 MB free)

Since there is not enough space on the C Drive (989 MB free) to install Windows, all that can be done is to delete drives or exit (which reboots the system). There is no prompt available.

QUESTIONS:
1) Could lack of free space shut down the machine?
2) Could RAM issues be related to the lack of space?
3) Could this Partition issue cause the XP Install CD to only go to this page?
4) Is there a free Partition Manager program that would merge the 2 drives and avoid a clean install? (executable from a CD-RW - accessing partition area without booting into Windows.)
5) I have ordered a 16 GB flash drive to retrieve data from the laptop. Is there a free data retrieval/recovery software, (executable) which could boot from a CD and transfer data to the flash drive? If you have it, I could really use an actual download page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

:flowers:

You could try this first?

Go into the Windows Screen showing the Partitions and click on the "Unknown" Partition. It has 25,820MB of Space you can't use at the moment because it is not created as a Partition yet.

After you click on it type in C for create and follow the prompts from Windows.

That will give you an unformatted Patition, so format it using the Windows Tools there.

DON'T Install Windows there!!! That will make your Problem worse!!!

Use that space to transfer over DATA from your C: Drive to free up Space on it.

You need at least 40% Free Space on C: Drive, then try to Defragment it. That could well be a big part of your Problem.

Post back after trying that.

:thumbsup:

#3 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:04 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I am at the Partition Page. I have highlighted Drive D:Partition2 and pressed Enter. It takes me to the format page (must be formatted before partitioned).

At the top of the page, it says that "the drive is either too full, damaged, unformatted, or incorrectly formatted." I know formatting will erase any existing data. I guess I'm a liittle nervous here. How can I be certain that there is no data on this drive?

If, in fact, there is no data, do I choose a quick NTFS format or the long one?

Following the format, what program would you suggest to transfer data from C Drive to D Drive? Could I merge the partitions with a partitions manager, since the D Partition will be formatted?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

After you click on it type in C for create and follow the prompts from Windows.

Typing in C is telling Windows that you want to "create" a Partition on the unallocated Space.

Make sure it is Created before you press Enter as that could take you to your C: Drive Partition.

If it is created as a Partition the only unallocated Space should be 8MBs down the bottom of it. Tjhat is quite normal and just ignore it.

When you Format it make sure it is listed as D: Drive, not C: Drive. Use Full NTFS format to be sure.

I never use third Party Partitioners as there is always a risk attached to them, prefering to stick with what Windows uses. That is quite sufficent.

Data you can move from C: Drive? All Sound Files, such as Music, all Video Files, such as Movies. You will be amazed how much is taken up by them. You can also move over any Document Files, including Pictures. Check out any Programs, Games, etc that you no longer use or very rarely and remove them either with their own uninstall or through Add and Remove Software in Control Panel.

Edited by Abacus 7, 27 December 2009 - 03:49 AM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

You might be able to get at your data with this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

Thank you for the "creating partition" information. What I have decided to do is to first retrieve data from the laptop. I should have the flash drive in a couple of days. At that point, I will come back to the partition issue and use your suggestions. I will post soon.

With regard to Ubuntu's Rescue CD - I will check out the tutorial - thank you.

#7 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Greetings -

Some news regarding my laptop. I did the following:

1) Ran Avira Anti-virus on a rescue disc - found 3 viruses:
-- (2 seem to be low potential threat - Delphi.Gen, TR/Patched.Gen1)
--This one appears to be dangerous: TR/Vundo.Gen (says TR/Vundo.Gen is complicated to clean, reinstalls its files under Computer reboot, Loss of registry keys, dll's and system files information causing regular "Blue Screen" error)

Says: "not removable" - How can I get rid of this? Could this be my problem?

2) Checked the HDD with Hitachi - Advanced Tests Results:
ATA WDC Serial #07A23545 Cache 8192 KB 80 GB Capacity
WDCWD800BEUS - 22RST0
Operation Completed Successfully
Disposition Code = 0x00

Also, now there is a new BSOD message:

"Check for viruses. Remove any newly installed hard drive. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption. Restart Computer.
Technical Information:
Stop: 0x0000007B (OXBACCF528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

The system starts to boot, begins to list devices, goes to the BSOD (just for a second), then reboots and starts the process all over again.

...and the Recovery Console now works.

I checked in the Recovery Console dir to see if the Vundo.Gen is listed - it's not.

Any help would really be appreciated.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Some varients of Vundo infections are indeed hard to cure. I suggest that you open up a new topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The malware experts are more qualified in the removal of most of these nasties...They have access to specialized tools that can usually clean things up. Explain your symptoms, steps that you have taken, and any additional information.

One thing to try (since you are able to get to the recovery console is to type in chkdsk /r (notice the space between k and /r and press enter)...This may take some time to complete and may repair enough that you can get XP to open. That may help with the BSOD issues but not the Vundo (which by the way will not show up in the directory in the recovery console)...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 31 December 2009 - 02:21 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

You do not have sufficient free space for Windows to run reliably.

You need to move all data files (vids, photos, music, etc.) from the C: partition to the D: partition.

Louis

#10 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

Thank you for the information.

To OGB - I did take your advice and posted to the security/virus section here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/283325/another-bsod-this-time-showing-viruses/ but have no response yet.

Concerning the CHKDSK /r, the Recovery Console won't do this or /f. I am still working on the Vundo.

To Louis - Definitely right. Once I can get rid of the virus, I will transfer files. It was my intention to get it bootable, transfer enough, then create, format a partition in the D Drive, then merge it with the C Drive.

Thanks for the help.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

Booting or not booting...has nothing to do with your ability to move files from that drive.

If you attach the drive to another system...either as a secondary drive attached to motherboard or via USB...you can move your files.

Then you will have sufficient room to make repair attempts on XP...or see if your problem has diminished/disappeared.

Louis

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

I agree totally with Hamluis, without more free Space on that HDD you will just be wasting everyones Time, Mate.

#13 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

Yes - I agree - I have removed 4 G of data from the HDD with Puppy Linux and put pics, wallpaper, docs, etc. on a USB Drive.

Although nothing has been changed by me, the computer is now in constant boot - back and forth. No BSOD - Additionally, it says that the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG file is either corrupt or missing. Probably the Vundo, Gen virus. I don't know.

At this point, what I would really like to do is a clean install, with no partitions. I tried to do a repair install once again, but it still comes to the partition page. When I press "enter" for C Drive, it now gives the option of a clean install (does not say "not enough space" anymore).

I am running out of time - my son goes back to college tomorrow - I've been working on this for 10 days and still, what a mess.

Any suggestions or help regarding my best options would be appreciated.

#14 ddeen25

ddeen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:39 AM

With regard to partitions, since my Windows XP Install CD opens with the partition page, what would get it to open on the correct setup page (i.e., 1) install, press enter, 2) Recovery Console, press R, 3) Exit?

Will deleting the partitions bring it back to the beginning of the Windows setup? I know my lack of knowledge is showing here. If I do a clean install on the C Drive (which is now possible), I will just be stuck with a tiny partition in C and 60,000 MB in an unformatted D Drive.

It seems to me that Abacus 7 touched on this, but the Windows partition page will not let me "create" a partition in the D Drive (by pressing C). When I highlight D Drive and press C, nothing happens; when I highlight and press enter, it immediately takes me to formatting.

I would really rather have a repair install with no partitions, or a clean install with no partitions. What can I do to make this happen?

Thanks for your help.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

You need to delete the partition...if you want to do a clean install. Then elect to install XP on the unallocated space.

The Delete option should be available on any screen presented which reflects existing partitions.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users