Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSXML Confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

I had to reformat my WinXP SP2 thinkpad last Jan using the hidden partition method. I then installed SP3, which according to my reading should have included MSXML 6. I only have MSXML 4 SP2 in Add/Remove programs, tho. So I went to the MS download site for 6, but SP3 wasn't listed under supported systems. I'm thinking that it wasn't listed because 6 is supposed to be included w/ SP3.

MSXML versions are supposed to install without replacing or overwriting other versions, so even if some program for some reason installed MSXML 4 after I installed SP3 I should still have 6.

So, there's no problem w/ MSXML 6 and SP3, right? It's supposed to be better security-wise & in W3C Conformance. I'd like to install 6 and uninstall 4SP2, but I don't know if some program requires 4.

I'm assuming Firefox 3.5.6 doesn't have a problem because googling for Firefox 3.5 + MXSML 6 didn't result in any real hits.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

You probably would want to ask this under the Windows XP forum.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

OK.
The WinXP forum might be the appropriate place or the Web browsing/internet applications forum might be more appropriate.

A recent update for MSXML 4 was to correct a problem with MSXML sending too many requests to a server which would then block the DTD [Document Type Definition, whatever that is] requests and the document wouldn't load. So I thought MSXML had to do w/ networking. On further reading I found that XML-based applications include MS Office & OpenOffice but I don't know if the office programs use MSXML or if MSXML is used to open office docs in some circumstances. It does seem like MSXML has more to do with using web resources than connecting to the internet or other computers.

Edited by MaryBet82, 28 December 2009 - 04:40 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users