Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updating from vista to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

I have had my computer for about 3 months. Bought it with Vista. I got a free upgrade to Windows 7. I haven't had any issues with Vista really.

What are the advantages that I could get from Windows 7. I am kind of on the fence that if it isn't broke don't fix it. I don't want to do the upgrade and as a result come into problems when my Vista seems "fine".

Am I being paranoid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yes, just slightly.

Windows 7 is just a better operating system when it comes down to it. It has the speed of XP with the looks of Vista (but better). The little buggy things that irritated people in Vista (and the major things like bsod's) are fixed in Windows 7. They shoved Vista out there too fast, and it wasn't ready. Everybody hated it. They remedied themselves with Windows 7. It's much better!! (I've had Vista, so I know)

If you got a free upgrade, then by all means use it! I was lucky enough to get it for free from my college's MSDN AA account, but a lot of people would kill to get it!

You didn't mention the specs of your computer (RAM, processor, hard drive, etc...), but I can tell you this: 7 will use a lot less of your resources than Vista. I can't guarantee your hard drive usage will go down with an upgrade, but RAM and processor usage will go down dramatically.

If you had gotten your PC just a little later, it would have come with 7 on it already. But when the manufacturers knew that 7 was coming out, they started offering Vista with a free upgrade to 7.

It's a very simple process to upgrade. You just pop in the Upgrade advisor disk, follow the prompts, pop in the real upgrade disk, let it sit for about 2 hours, then come back and enjoy Windows 7 in all it's glory!!

I've used Windows 7 since the Release Candidate (the one that anyone could get; I recently installed the full version), and I can honestly say I will NEVER own another computer with Vista on it. My opinion of Vista was this: it worked (most of the time), it was just ugly when it did it (silly errors, "safely remove hardware" icon screwing up, green bar of death, occasional bsod, poor user interface, I could go on for days).

I've seen people like you that don't have a problem with Vista, and don't see what the point of going to 7 is. And in the case of whether or not to BUY Windows 7 separately after having the computer for a year or two, I would say no. But if it came with a free upgrade, then I say, "What do you have to lose? Go for it." If you like Vista just fine, don't go out and buy 7. However, if you like Vista and have a free upgrade to 7, you will like Windows 7 even better.

Sorry for such a long post, but I thought I needed to clear things up.

To summarize, I suggest you go ahead and do the upgrade. You'll love Windows 7 that much more. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

I don't think you're being paranoid - nothing wrong with being on the fence :huh: if you flat out refused to seek advice or listen to reason, I might think otherwise!

That said however, I agree with pretty much everything keyboardNinja has said. You're better off going with Windows 7 (especially if you have a free upgrade) if for no other reason than this: Windows 7 is like the child prodigy, and Windows Vista is the awkward teenager. Sure it works, but Microsoft (the parent) is already hard at work building out support resources & a knowledge base for Windows 7 (read: attention is focused on the more promising of the two kiddos...) That's by no means a perfect metaphor of course, but the bottom line is this: Windows 7 is already more stable than Vista, and we're seeing dailyincreases in software compatibility and support availability.

Another thing that might help you make the decision is how compatible your existing software library would be with Windows 7. For that, there are two things you can do:

1. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
2. Look up your software manually at the Windows 7 Compatibility Center

I hope that whatever you decide to do, you'll continue asking questions and posting your experiences!

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself, Walker. :huh: