Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Boot After Combofix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rns25

rns25

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

About a month ago I used combofix to remove the Vundo virus from my computer. Now the computer will not boot past the logo screen; it just resets.

A couple weeks ago I went to the download link to make sure I downloaded it from the right place, and it said that it was taken offline temporarily due to a problem that would render some computers unbootable.

Any advice on how to resolve this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Moved to Am I Infected from XP..
and asked for assistance
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:14 AM

Hello rns25,

I have a few questions for you first.

1. What version of windows are you using?

2. Did these problems occur immediately after running Combofix?

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 rns25

rns25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2.

These problems occurred immediately after running Combofix. I tried to run a repair install of Windows, but the computer still will not boot.

I did understand the risks with Combofix, but nothing I can do about that now. From what I've taken from other posts, there was an issue with the program. It's alright though, I'm sure I will get it fixed. Even if it means formatting and installing a new OS.

Edited by rns25, 28 December 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,070 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

Hello again :thumbsup:

Just FYI, the bug in Combofix that caused it being taken offline was for Vista machines mainly :flowers:

But anyway, if Combofix caused this problem we should be able to undo the damage.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Now lets see what Combofix deleted.
  • Restart your computer
  • Before Windows loads, you will be prompted to choose which Operating System to start
  • Use the up and down arrow key to select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
  • You must enter which Windows installation to log onto. Type 1 and press enter.
  • At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

set allowallpaths = true

If you get a message about the set command, just ignore it and continue.

dir c:\qoobox\quarantine

This will show the contents of qoobox quarantine folder. Please list its contents in your next reply
  • At the next prompt type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

exit
Your computer will now restart.

Edited by elise025, 29 December 2009 - 03:00 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 rns25

rns25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Whenever I boot, no matter what option I choose (including disable automatic restart), I just get a black screen.
(No error message)

When I try to enter Recovery Console, or after I try to boot from disk (remember I repair installed XP professional), I get the following error message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0A050017, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8081c63c)

So basically I can't do anything.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,070 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:28 AM

Lets see if we can get in the recovery console using a CD.

You can use your XP CD for this, if you don't have it at hand, find below instructions on how to create a bootable Recovery Console CD.

Please download the Recovery Console Bootable CD iso
Unzip the file and user your favourite burning application to burn the iso to a CD. Note, this is not the same as just burning the iso file on a CD.
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type the following line and press enter.

dir c:\qoobox\quarantine

This will show the contents of qoobox quarantine folder. Please list its contents in your next reply

Type exit and press enter to exit and restart your PC.

regards, Elise

#8 rns25

rns25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

When I boot from the recovery console CD that I just downloaded, when it asks for the Windows installation I type 1.

Then the same error message comes up.

Any chance I can backup my harddrive and just do a clean install of Windows 7 (what I should have done in the first place)?

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,070 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

Well, if combofix was responsible for this, it should allow you to boot in the Recovery console. Can you please try to describe as precise as possible when the BSOD happens.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users