Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wildmagelet786

wildmagelet786

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

Alright. The Conundrum: (Windows XP Home Edition)

When I bought my computer (laptop...Sony Vaio) I didn't realize that the hard drive was partitioned into a C drive and a D drive. So I didn't reinstall any components of my computer...I just used the computer. Now I have important documents, pictures, and music files that I don't want deleted. BUT, my computer is running low on space on the C drive (which is the only drive I used, since I didn't know about the partition). I have 20 GB of space on my D drive, but I can't really access that since all my files are on my C drive. So I keep getting warning about the low space on my C drive. So I attempted to delete the partition by going to Computer Management, and Disk Management. When I deleted the partition, instead of getting the 20 GB of hard drive space on my C drive, all I got was 20 GB of unallocated hard drive space.

How can I get one big C drive? Should I risk losing my files by rebooting my computer or should I try to make use of the partitioned hard drive? And even more importantly...HOW do I make use of my partitioned hard drive if I don't reboot?

A confused student,
Wildmagelet786

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

You will need a program to allow you to resize your partition. Partition Magic is a good paid program. I like and use Digital Dolly 1.0 . DD has quite a few good utility besides partition software.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:32 AM

What is wrong with 2 partitions?
Go to Computer Management and Format the Unallocated Space to the same File Format as C Drive, name it D Drive then move your important files and folders to D Drive. This will do 2 important things:
#1 - It will free up space on C Drive. :thumbsup:

#2 - It will protect you from losing your important Files should C Drive get corrupted and you have to do a clean install of your OS.

Bonus:
#3 - Laptops only have 1 internal HDD and HDD's are known to fail at any time.
I would either invest in an External HDD or Large Flash (thumb) Drives to keep your important info backed up.
You will never be sorry you backed up.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

RiverRat
What is wrong with 2 partitions?
Go to Computer Management and Format the Unallocated Space to the same File Format as C Drive, name it D Drive then move your important files and folders to D Drive. This will do 2 important things:
#1 - It will free up space on C Drive.  :thumbsup: 

#2 - It will protect you from losing your important Files should C Drive get corrupted and you have to do a clean install of your OS.

Bonus:
#3 - Laptops only have 1 internal HDD and HDD's are known to fail at any time.
I would either invest in an External HDD or Large Flash (thumb) Drives to keep your important info backed up.
You will never be sorry you backed up.

I like your idea better. I was just being direct. He would be much better off with a data drive. :flowers:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users