Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think Hibernate mode is stupid...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

I was just reading today (and yesterday) about sleep modes and what S1 and S3 sleep meant.

I got my computer to turn off (almost completely) in sleep mode in Win7 RC. No fans spinning. Just press the keyboard and it starts back up fast.

Hibernate is stupid though. It takes soooo long to come back on. It takes minutes. So whats the point? Why would someone hibernate the computer and have to wait 5 mins for it starts back up when its faster to turn it off. If they don't want to turn it off, they can just put it in sleep mode. Especially S3 sleep mode if their mobo allows.

I was researching this because I want to build a DVR for my tv. It seems sleep mode is the way to go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

for two reasons. First, sleep mode, there is still power running through the system, which in my book is bad because A: its still eating at my electric bill (though not as bad when its left on) and B: because electricity means wear and tear which decreases the life of the computer. and Second, sleep mode will mess up the windows registry after awhile and in my experience is rather rough on the computer. Hibernation on the other hand shuts off all power to the PC and doesn't harm anything, and in a proper setup does not take longer to boot up then shutting it off. It does on my laptop, but thats because the laptops slow, and has a lot of junk on it, and may have other issues. In my desktop it either takes the same amount or slightly shorter then just turning it off, and that doesn't even take that long, 45 seconds to a minute maybe.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

I've always have had problems with Hibernate. In fact, I always wound up having reboot after all, so I finally disabled that service. No sense in having it run when it didn't work right anyway.

So now, I completely shut down the computer, then turn off the switch at the surge protector as well to stop ALL electric flow to the computer.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

Well, I don't know much about Windows 7 sleep mode, but Hibernate stores all the info in your RAM as a pagefile in your hard drive right? I think the idea is that your computer will be shut down indefinitely, but it has saved all the stuff that was running. It's basically a snapshot of your computer's RAM, in case you have work that you don't want to put down, or a program you don't want to wait for. Sounds like Windows 7 hibernate instead sustains the RAM's power, keeping the RAM running while shutting down the rest of the compy. I think it would use more power. Totally correct me if I'm wrong, I'm anxious to know.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

I hadn't heard that, but I got a couple builds im involved in where im isntalling windows 7 so Ill experiment with it and let you all know.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Well, I don't know much about Windows 7 sleep mode, but Hibernate stores all the info in your RAM as a pagefile in your hard drive right? I think the idea is that your computer will be shut down indefinitely, but it has saved all the stuff that was running. It's basically a snapshot of your computer's RAM, in case you have work that you don't want to put down, or a program you don't want to wait for. Sounds like Windows 7 hibernate instead sustains the RAM's power, keeping the RAM running while shutting down the rest of the compy. I think it would use more power. Totally correct me if I'm wrong, I'm anxious to know.

Well when I come back from hibernate, the windows 7 logo moves in slow motion. I have 4gb of memory. I see no reason for that.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

I have issues with my XP machine being slow coming out of hibernate, but thats because I have a lot of JUNK on it and it takes windows that much longer to load, on top of that my registrys corrupt (its in seriouse need of a reformat im just to lazy to do it, dont use it enough) so that may be (may not be to) the issue with yours but no garentees. I just know that I have no issues with my vista machine hibernating at all. I have a quad core build for a friend in my room right now running windows 7 ultimate, so Ill play around with the hibernate mode with that tomorrow and post my results.

picard5.jpg

#8 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

PC World: Article about sleep mode

I don't know much about the whole topic but this article tells about how much electricity one uses in sleep and hibernate.
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#9 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

PC World: Article about sleep mode

I don't know much about the whole topic but this article tells about how much electricity one uses in sleep and hibernate.

Quote from that article:

"You probably don't want hibernate mode, which dumps the contents of your PC's RAM to the hard disk and then power off your PC, so you can resume right where you left off (with programs open and so on). With the large amount of RAM in today's systems, this can be a pretty slow option."

hmm. Its almost as if the more memory (RAM), the SLOWER the computer returns from sleep. I have 4gb myself. Maybe the more RAM, the more stuff windows will try to load onto it, the longer it will take to read that info and get it off it.

Edited by TheEgg, 12 January 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

that statement, for that reason is true with both sleep and hibernate modes. Only difference is, in my experience, sleep leaves power on (which produces heat and wear and tear, and in my experience, messes up the registry) while hibernate shuts everything down. personally, I have 6 gigs of ram on my primary system, though I rarely have a lot of programs running at the same time, and I almost always hibernate it. same with my laptop with only 768 mb.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users