Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 freezes frequently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VioletTiger

VioletTiger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

I posted this on the XP forum and it was usggested that I repost here:Hello - new member here.
I have a Del XPS 410 with Windows XP. Had a bad virus attack on 12/22--cleaned it up with Malwarebytes. It was one of those fake-alert viruses. I have Trend Micro, Malwarebytes, and CounterSpy installed. This particular hit attacked all three programs and would not let them run. I keep a copy of Malwarebytes under a different name just in case, so I deleted the corrupted copy and reinstalled the renamed copy and caught the bugs. All seemed fine.

The next day, the machine started freezing. It will freeze on any program on my user side(I am the Admin), at random times. I can't get through a scan with any virus program started from my section, as it freezes. Sometimes the freezes is accompanied by a loud sound like a stuck keyboard key. It will never freeze on my husband's section, but he can't get to the internet using any program. He can get his email and download banking info. My daughter rarely uses her side as she is a college girl with a laptop. It froze once when I got on IE there, but otherwise operated normally. I ran Malwarebytes on her user name and caught more bugs. Further scans with the above programs do not catch anything.

I tried booting in safe mode (three times) but it blue screens. It will boot in normal mode.

I ran Hijack this and have the file saved. I ran a copy of avast Virus Cleaner Tool right now that a neighbor gave me on a disk--no virus found. I suspected a hardware program like overheating, but since the behavior is so odd and it has been running now for well over an hour on my daughter's user name, I don't think it is a problem.

Any ideas? Did the virus take a piece of the operating system with it? Can I run chkdsk on a normal boot if I can't get to safe mode? Should I do a repair on Windows? What about rootkitbuster? I am running out of things to try.

Would I post the Hijackthis file here?

Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VioletTiger

VioletTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Ran checkdisk and it did not improve things. If nobody has any suggestions, can you perhaps suggest a reliable business to take the machine? I am really out of ideas.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users