Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-Aware auto running on startup - how can I stop it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 timmaaah

timmaaah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hi all - this is my second post, so I hope I've got it the the right section!

O/S is Windows XP SP3
Zone-Alarm firewall
Avast On-line scanner
Search and Destroy
these programs all start automatically, and this is fine, it's what I want.

I also have Malware Bytes and Ad-Aware installed on my machine,to be used once a month in addition to the other programs mentioned above. I want to manually start these programs, so they are not running all the time, but Ad-Aware has taken to running automatically on start-up :thumbsup: (Malware Bytes does not).

I can find no reference to it in msconfig, or in the startup bit of CCL. Just where the hell is it running itself from? I don't want to uninstall it, because it's nice to run once a month or so, but I don't want it running all the time. It's shown as a current process on the Task Manager.

Help would really be appreciated.

Timmaaah

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

At this time...Ad-Aware is considered by many to be worthless.

I would suggest uninstalling it and installing/updating/using SUPERAntiSpyware as a better alternative.

Running any malware-defense program...once a month...seems highly questionable to me. New forms of malware are generated and introduced daily.

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

Once again I agree with hamluis. I would suggest running SUPERAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes every day.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

Ad-Aware now runs as a service so I think that is the process you're seeing in Task Manager. The service process won't show up in the startup tab of msconfig. Unless you've purchased the commercial version that includes AdWatch, but it would show in msconfig. So if you want to keep Ad-Aware and have it work properly, leave the service process alone.

If you absolutely don't want it running, then uninstall Ad-Aware.

As far as I'm concerned Spybot's TeaTimer is useless as well. I stopped using Spybot S&D recently and Ad-Aware a few years ago. SUPERAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes are better to clean up infections that your antivirus may have missed--in my opinion, they are pretty useless as a preventive measure (again, if you buy their commercial version). Your antivirus and firewall should be adequate prevention unless you have terribly unsafe surfing habits.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 timmaaah

timmaaah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

Okeedokee - that seems fairly conclusive!!

Thanks for the advice - now in the process of removing ad-aware and s&d, and now downloading superantispyware as we speak.

Thanks again for the advice peeps :thumbsup:

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users