Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numerous Start-Up Errors and Infected(?) Desktop...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hey everyone. I'm a long time user, first time poster. Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope your holidays were better than mine!

Let me get right down to business: I have NO idea what happened to my laptop. One day I was using the internet, all was well. I re-start and haven't been able to access it since. I've been running my sister's laptop trying to figure out ANYTHING I could do, but to no avail.

My problem, mainly, is Windows locks-up on start-up. Sometimes the Windows XP screen can take up to 5 minutes to load, then items on the desktop will continue to pose as loading, but never do. My system tray is all but useless, as the time ONLY pops up. For me to try to access My Computer, My Documents or anything for that fact, it loads and loads and loads.... then nothing happens. It appears as it wants to load, but it won't. Ontop of the frozen desktop, I get a load of messages, as follows:

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe - Application Error

spoolsv.exe - Application Error

systra.exe - Bad Image

Trend Micro
- The TmProxy module experienced a critical error.

Explorer.EXE - Application Error

iTunesHelper
- iTunes was not installed correctly.

See, now I understand what them files are and their important, but I have no way to work around it. The same thing happens when I log onto Safe Mode. The only advantage is I can access Documents and such. I cannot get onto the internet AT ALL, even in Safe Mode with Networking.

I am running a Dell Inspiron E1505, with Windows XP Media edition. Everything, including drivers, BIOS, etc. is, or at least was, up to date. I WAS running an out-of-date Trend Micro suite, as you can see above, but finances sadly wouldn't let me renew it until after Christmas.

If anyone can help, you guys are my last hope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Bump

#3 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

I am running a MalwareBytes scan right now in safe mode. It's pretty much the only thing I can do. However, I cannot connect to the internet with Internet Explorer, it DID let me update the definitions for MalwareBytes. It's making me think more and more it IS a nasty virus instead of a system error.

#4 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Alright, I ran malwareBytes with no malware found. I'm out of ideas.

#5 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

I am running the Recovery Console. It's running slow, but I'm under the impression that if it does that it means it doing something...?

#6 DerfNoVowels

DerfNoVowels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

I ran Recovery Console, and am able to log back into Windows.

However, when I'm at the login screen I am still given the errors, especially avgdumbx.exe and systra.exe errors. I CAN access my Documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users