Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network but internet connection has been lost

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EIN375

EIN375

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi, I have 2PC's with a wireless network card in each. One PC has a broadband modem and the other shares that connection through the network.

Ever since I put a new motherboard in to the pc that dosen't have the modem something has happened to the internet. I am able to access google and MSN Messenger and thats all. If I try to go to other sites or get e-mail throught Mozilla Thunderbird it takes ages and ages aying it's loading the page but nothing ever happens. (The network is ok, as I said I cna access google and I cna pronts on the shared printer etc...)

This happend before I upgraded the mobo and I had someone fix it form me. I am not in contact with him at the moment so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to do here.

Thanks
Stephen

Mod Edit - Email address removed to defeat spambots - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 17 August 2005 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:07 AM

first problem is that you are sharing your internet. ICS sucks, is problem ridden, and i am astonished your friend didn't suggest you purchased an inexpensive router $60 and up depending where you are iun the world. a wireless router will help you do all the things you do now better faster and more effeciently.
nowever, if you are being too cheap, you may want to
1.DL adaware and spybot from www.download.com, update and run them to remove accumulated adware/spyware/malware.
2.DL and run a "win socket" fix on both of your computers, http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html this will reset the tcp/ip parameters/hosts files, general protocol reset and repair damaged sockets from malware
3.Reset web settings, go into web browser, make everything default, even home page to start, in IE found in ...tools>internet options>advanced, then back to>programs.
its early in the morning here, and i am trying to figure out how you physically have your wlan set up by your description, so i may have been mistaken as to above first line, bnut the rest you should follow anyway
let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users