Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A series of troubles with driver installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dazappa

Dazappa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

I recently bought a capture card which came with a driver CD. Installs perfectly happily in XP, but on my main desktop with Vista, it spurts out "The required section was not found in the INF". So naturally, I go googling around and come across this awesomely handy site: http://www.loosewireblog.com/2006/07/how_to_fix_a_br.html Great! Right? Wrong. My C:\Windows\Setupapi.log does not contain anything helpful, only this: "The location of the SetupAPI log file has been changed.
The new location is: D:\Windows\INF" D: happens to be another one of my harddrives, but I can assure you, after turning on hidden files and system files, there is no D:\Windows\INF directory... SO without the contents of that setupapi file, I can't find what [section] is missing from my inf file, so I cannot repair it manually, and thus my life involves me and a brick wall and some smashing of my head against it.

- I consider myself to be a power or experienced user, capable of fiddling with Windows' internals without fear through regedit, safemode, booting an external disc and fiddling with the files then..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

I recently bought a capture card which came with a driver CD. Installs perfectly happily in XP, but on my main desktop with Vista, it spurts out "The required section was not found in the INF". So naturally, I go googling around and come across this awesomely handy site: http://www.loosewireblog.com/2006/07/how_to_fix_a_br.html Great! Right? Wrong. My C:\Windows\Setupapi.log does not contain anything helpful, only this: "The location of the SetupAPI log file has been changed.
The new location is: D:\Windows\INF" D: happens to be another one of my harddrives, but I can assure you, after turning on hidden files and system files, there is no D:\Windows\INF directory... SO without the contents of that setupapi file, I can't find what [section] is missing from my inf file, so I cannot repair it manually, and thus my life involves me and a brick wall and some smashing of my head against it.

- I consider myself to be a power or experienced user, capable of fiddling with Windows' internals without fear through regedit, safemode, booting an external disc and fiddling with the files then..

Windows Vista has what Is called a Appdata Section. this is where all your Application Data is usually stored. I would go to the account in question and check it out:

Start > Search > %AppData%

I would check both Local and Roaming Directories for this file that you need!!! Hope that helps!!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users