Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Recovery Volume D Full

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bscecina

bscecina

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

I have been doing some of the tweaks in Tweakguides-XPTC. After running Diskeeper, the free space on volume D is very low (17%).

Here is what I have done so far:

Ran Diskeeper - both regular and boot-time.

Decreased the disk space for system restore to 5%.

Removed all but the most recent restore points.

Used CCleaner

I consistently run Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot, The Cleaner, and Spyblaster.
(Is it redundant to use Spybot & Spyblaster....I always wonder if you can have too much stuff?) I use EzTrust anti-virus & firewall.

I have an HP Pavilion:
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz
2.60GHz, 512MB of RAM
Windows XP Media Center-2002 SP2

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

A couple things to do to free up disk space:
Remove all programs that you don't use anymore.
Remove anything in your My Documents folder, that doesn't have to be on your computer (burn it to CDs).

(Is it redundant to use Spybot & Spyblaster....I always wonder if you can have too much stuff?)

In my opinion, there's no such thing as too much protection.
I use:
aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Some use more, some use less.

Another way to lessen your chance of infection, is to use an alternate browser, if you're using IE.
These browsers pose less of a security risk, than IE:
(Also faster)
Firefox
Mozilla
Opera
Flashpeak SlimBrowser
AvantBrowser
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hello bscecina and welcome to BC.

Is it redundant to use Spybot & Spyblaster

Not at all. Spybot is an on demand anti-spyware device and SpywareBlaster is real time protection against the unwanted installation of ActiveX controls and blocks malicious websites.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your D: partition holds the System Restore information and can't be used as storage. Can you see D: in Windows Explorer?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

Thanks to both of you. I replied before, but I don't see it, so I must have done something wrong. If D is the recovery disk, and can't be used as storage, then emptying My Documents won't help, right? I can't figure out what in the world could be using all that space. I removed all but one restore point.

I noticed a lot of the tools I downloaded from the Tweakguide create restore points. Are they removed when I remove the windows restore points?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Exactly what tools did you use?

The fact that your D: is 83% full is not a concern if it is your HP restore partition as opposed to XP System Restore which would be on your C:. How much free space do you have on C:?

If D is the recovery disk, and can't be used as storage, then emptying My Documents won't help, right?

No, that is on C:.

Once again can you see D: in Windows Explorer?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Yes, I can see D in Windows Explorer. It shows as HP Recovery (D):
(D): has 17% free space and ©: has 84% free space.

The tools I used from the Tweakguide were:
Tweak UI
Cacheman
Everest
Bootvis
PerfWiz

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:24 PM

Your D: is not an active drive so that amount of free space is acceptable. That drive is only used when you run your recovery CD's. It contains programs, drivers etc that are neccessary when you do a sytem recovery. Your C: drive is obviously fine.

#8 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

Thanks,

I'm going to have to take a computer class one of these days. There is so much I don't know. I have one more question, but I think I need to start a new thread. Thank you to every one who replied.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

What exactly does Windows Explorer show to be in your "D" drive?

What are the names of some of the folders?

#10 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

Here are some of the folders in (D):

(1) These all have lock icons beside them:
cmdcons TOOLS
1386 hp
PRELOAD MiniNT
RECOVER

(2) One folder: System Volume Information

(3) The recycle bin icon-Recycled

(4) 37 miscellaneous files......I'll list a few:

AUTOEXEC.BAT-MS-DOS Batch file
CMLDR-System file
MASTER.LOG-text document
SVGA-System file

#11 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

Can I ask one more question just to ease my mind? The consensus seems to be that 17% free space is acceptable for (D). When I defragment or analyze (D) with Diskeeper, it gives me the warning: "The computers reliability is degraded on volume (D). The free space is very low making it difficult to defragment." Then it recommends that I empty my recycle bin and remove unwanted files. I keep my recycle bin empty, but I don't know enough about volume (D) to remove anything. Should I just not worry about the warning?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

Your D: drive is mostly static in that it doesn't change very often which is not something that Diskeeper expects. Its sole function is to hold your recovery or reinstall information in case that is needed. It is not active like your C: drive in that files are changed, added, deleted, there are temp files created and purged, temporary internet files created and deleted, the swap file expanding and contracting etc. If Diskeeper thinks its too full, I say too bad. :thumbsup: It likely doesn't need to be defragged at all. Its too full by design. Why have 10GB of empty space that just sits there being unproductive? Its a matter of efficient use of your drive space. Don't beat yourself up about this. :flowers:

Run Windows Defrag on it and see what happens.

#13 bscecina

bscecina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

Thank you,
That explains it perfectly. I won't worry about it anymore.

#14 Zheyk

Zheyk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

Here are some of the folders in (D):

(1) These all have lock icons beside them:
cmdcons TOOLS
1386 hp
PRELOAD MiniNT
RECOVER

(2) One folder: System Volume Information

(3) The recycle bin icon-Recycled

(4) 37 miscellaneous files......I'll list a few:

AUTOEXEC.BAT-MS-DOS Batch file
CMLDR-System file
MASTER.LOG-text document
SVGA-System file

I desperatly need that autoexec.bat file.... i accidentally erased it, and can't remember the lines to restore it. could you plz post them or upload the file?

hp dv2035la in troubles...

Tks!

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Since you can access the autoexec.bat file on the D: drive, right click on it and select "Edit". Then copy the text there to your clipboard (Ctrl - C).

If there is already an autoexec.bat file in the root (C:\), rename it to something like autoexec.BAK so that it won't be lost in case you need it later.

Then, open notepad and paste the stuff from the first step into the document, then save it as "autoexec.bat" (without the quotes) and save it to the root (C:\)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users